Senior Data Engineer - Video Streaming
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
What you'll do
- You’ll take ownership and increase automation and scale of complex data sets that drive use cases by our analytical partners. This includes the netflix ‘playback’ data, application performance data, network throughput and device debug information.
- You’ll build robust data pipelines that output very high data quality at scale using any combination of Spark, Flink, Python and Scala.
- As someone who is working at the heart of understanding what is being watched on Netflix, you will partner closely with Content teams (who is watching what?), Network Teams (what kind of network performance are they getting?) and our Client Teams (how is my app performing on their device?)
- We need to process data more quickly than ever to enable rapid experimentation in an increasingly nimble engineering organization. You’ll help implement our business logic to be compatible with real-time/stream processing frameworks.
Who you are
- Have several of the characteristics/skills listed below and have passion and self-drive to quickly learn in areas of less familiarity. We believe the experience in your years is more important than your years of experience.
- Enjoy a high level of autonomy in managing cross-functional engineering projects. We enjoy a culture of Freedom & Responsibility.
- Have experience building production data pipelines and/or strong knowledge of SQL (Knowledge of Spark, Flink or Hive/Hadoop is helpful). Have hands-on experience with schema design and data modeling.
- Have programming proficiency in Python, or Scala/Java. You have a software engineering mindset and strive to write elegant, maintainable code. You may even be a software engineer with a focus or passion for data-driven solutions.
- Have strong SQL skills and knowledge
- Have excellent communication in sharing context to effectively collaborate with analytical partners, domain experts and other consumers of your work, preferably in supporting an engineering or product function. We like to collaborate across teams and so should you.
- Ambitious and willing to take action, but not stubborn. Awareness to recognize when you're wrong and move past your own mistakes. We are humbly confident in ourselves and our work.
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Want to learn more about Netflix? Visit Netflix's website.
Using digital technology to transform the physical world