Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with more than 200 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Our growing global Music Business & Legal Affairs (BLA) Group is looking for a new member to join the team: a BLA Analyst who shares our passion for music and the entertainment industry to help support our expanding slate of Netflix content. Someone who seeks out and thrives in an environment where freedom and responsibility are a tenet, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates (Netflix culture). A stunning and selfless colleague for whom no task is too small or insurmountable.
The Music BLA Group is an international group with members in offices around the world and is responsible for all of Netflix’s global music business affairs, legal affairs and strategy, from the production and licensing of Netflix Originals through to the distribution of the Netflix service globally. This role is based in our Los Angeles office and will report to a Director, Music.
This unique and exciting role sits on the studio side of the Music BLA Group and will be a leader in music business, legal and strategy support for the production and licensing of Netflix series, documentaries and films. The position will have broad responsibility and unique insight into multiple aspects of our business while taking a vital role in upstream and downstream workflows alongside a wide swath of internal and external partners.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, passionate, and resourceful expert to join our team as a Music BLA Analyst. This role will play a crucial part in the strategic development and improvement of Music BLA workflows, seeking to identify operational inefficiencies, suggesting better approaches, and working toward implementing solutions. This person will be a key, hands-on contributor while taking a leadership role in supporting and tracking deals for soundtrack and other music releases (including confirming and tracking rights and clearances and summarizing royalty and other reporting obligations), maintaining strategic and tactical alignment on contract forms both in the Music BLA team and with our partners throughout the studio (which will include tracking and applying updates to a variety of music forms across multiple production verticals), and they will themself draft and negotiate basic agreements like certificates of engagement.
This is an opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix shape the future of entertainment.
The ideal candidate will have: 3+ years of experience in series or film production business and/or legal affairs, including experience in shaping strategies and supporting operational workflows in the music and soundtrack deal making process in series/film production - from the initial engagement of talent through completion of services and execution of formal documentation; and practical knowledge of the music and technology industries. In-house music experience in a TV or film production company and/or network or studio is preferred. The successful candidate will also possess the following:
- Exceptional project management skills, including expertise in identifying areas of need and finding and standing up solutions.
- Unparalleled organizational skills and an unwavering attention to detail.
- Tech-savvy, with a strong sense of how cloud-based document and database systems are used in a modern business environment.
- Strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear and the issues are of first impression.
- Clear, concise and effective communication skills.
- Excellent judgment, confidence, and a sense of humor.
- Highly-collaborative, with the ability to be fluid and respond positively to change and new ideas.
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
- Resourcefulness and ability to pivot quickly, think practically and be solution-oriented.
- Curiosity and eagerness to tackle additional projects as needed, including matters outside of your area of expertise.
- An eagerness to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Demonstrated curiosity about how different backgrounds and cultures affect us at work, and a commitment to acknowledge and work past implicit biases.