Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with 208 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
With the opening of our new offices in Berlin, and with highly successful German shows such as “Dark”, “Barbarians” and “How to sell drugs online (fast),” Netflix continues to establish its presence in Germany and seeks an experienced attorney to join Netflix’s growing content slate in DACH . As one of the initial team members in the Berlin office, this role is a unique opportunity to impact Netflix’s expanding business in DACH.
Based in Berlin, the role is on the Business & Legal Affairs team and will be focused on supporting the growing slate of Netflix original scripted series, non-fiction series, film, kids & family and animation content produced in German language. The candidate will assist in scaling our German language content operations, working alongside creative partners to structure content production agreements and harmonize Netflix objectives within production and legal frameworks in Germany. In doing so, the candidate will be responsible for understanding the legal landscape and production customs, and executing on Netflix’s strategy as necessary to develop and produce local content for Netflix’s global streaming platform.
In particular, the candidate will be involved in negotiating production deals for programming either with local production partners or directly with talent and representatives, as well as overseeing business and legal affairs matters during production. The ideal candidate will have direct experience with deal-making and production legal issues in the German film & TV marketplace across the genres, as well as direct experience in licensing and distribution. The role requires a deep knowledge of the legal intricacies in the German media sector, a facility in creative thinking, good judgment, the ability to collaborate strongly within a team, and the flexibility to quickly pivot within a strategy. Experience in animation will also be considered.
The successful candidate will be admitted to practice law in Germany and will have proven years of broad-based entertainment experience in Germany with both the legal and business aspects of production, licensing and distribution. Fluency in English and native German are essential requirements for this role.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Strong communication skills (candor, honesty)
- Strong analytical (strategic and creative) capabilities and judgment
- Curiosity and willingness to tackle matters outside their area of expertise
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight time frames in a fast‐paced environment
- Ability to work in a small group, tackle all challenges and take initiative
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively cross‐functionally, think pragmatically and be solution‐oriented
- Ability to collaborate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds
- Adaptable negotiation style
- Passion for Netflix’s international strategy
- Comfortable traveling internationally (subject to applicable Covid regulation)