Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with over 209 million paid memberships in over 190 countries, enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Netflix depends on the data platform to provide the foundation for all of our product decisions - decisions that directly impact our customer experience.
Our platform runs tens of thousands of jobs and processes over a trillion events a day. We support over a thousand data analysts, data scientists, and engineers across the company to make business decisions. Having excellent reliability for such a large and distributed cloud infrastructure is paramount to a data-driven company like Netflix.
About the team
This team builds an API gateway and clients to unify access to Netflix's data platform and provide a consistent entry point making it easy and efficient for any data consumer. The API exposes a single GraphQL endpoint that expresses relationships between several discrete data platform entities and provides a query language that allows selective and efficient data retrieval with a strongly typed schema focusing on documentation and discoverability. When building a gateway, some challenges include maintaining consistency and development velocity while also balancing dimensions like scalability and operability.
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to realize the vision for the data platform edge, to help evolve our clients and APIs, and to build infrastructure to support our continued scaling for global expansion and our shift into more advanced support for machine learning and stream processing.
Opportunities to make an impact
• Build infrastructure to unite large-scale systems for accessing and processing data
• Define apis that empower fast and intuitive data discovery, exploration and action
• Envision abstractions to unify relationships between different data models and systems at Netflix
• Shape the future of how teams at Netflix share knowledge and collaborate with data
You share our passion for helping humans become more productive. You have expertise envisioning simple yet powerful abstractions to help unify access to Netflix’s data platform. The services, APIs, and infrastructure that you build are informed first and foremost by studying what users need. You are context-aware, often finding leverage in what's already there.
You may not be familiar with some of the technologies we use on the team, and that's OK! As an experienced software engineer, we value your individual insight and curiosity. We expect you'll be excited to roll up your sleeves, apply your skills and learn a lot as we navigate these challenges together. This job description is for a backend engineer, but if the circumstances arise, you can expect to work on different technology stacks to deliver value to our users and partners.
Who we are looking for:
- You are curious and eager to work cross functionally with a variety of engineering specialties (ie Data Science, Data Engineering, and Machine Learning to name a few).
- You're an expert in Scala, Java or a JVM-based language.
- You have great attention to detail and rich experience in library or protocol design.
- You’ve built and maintained large-scale backend apis.
- You have a high degree of empathy for users of your products. You've envisioned and seen to fruition delightful user experiences.
- You're a big picture thinker. You build for the long term, contextualizing your work as part of a larger ecosystem. You work hard to build intuitive tools that are simple.
- You have experience gradually improving legacy or outdated technical solutions to migrate them to more robust and modern alternatives and participating in the design work required for it.
- You love prototyping and are proud of some of the rapid learnings you've enabled your team to achieve by transforming concepts into working prototypes that eager users can get their hands on.
- You are a strong partner and enjoy driving cross-functional, cross-team projects forward.
- You are great at articulating and communicating key technical decisions.
- You are a strong technical contributor
- You are excited to be a part of a team that is fundamental to the success of Netflix and making a big difference in revolutionizing internet TV!
To learn more about Netflix culture, see jobs.netflix.com/culture
. We are excited to discuss with you how it applies to our team, and how Netflix values permeate our approach to work.