Director, Android Product Engineering
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
- You are an experienced engineering leader comfortable with technical details and you use this knowledge to advocate for industry-leading engineering excellence
- You have a demonstrated understanding of hiring, retaining and growing high performing teams through significant technical and product complexities
- You’ve partnered closely with cross-functional teams and functions to propose, evolve and deliver large products built by several teams
- You’ve built and scaled teams responsible for highly visible and fast moving apps which are frequently released to millions of users around the world
- You have experience leading emerging market offerings, data-driven discussions, large technical infrastructure and product engineering initiatives across multiple teams
- You are a strong communicator with exceptional listening skills, you can operate independently, challenge the status quo and you always play for the larger team
What sets you apart?
- You establish and reinforce a clear technical vision with your team. You have experience making smart investments in Android architecture to meet the demands of a rapidly growing user base across the world. You’ve learned the difference between building flexible systems that can adapt to business needs and unnecessarily complex systems that attempt to guess the future.
- You have a passion for the customer experience. As the most senior Android engineering voice on the cross-functional product leadership team, you are always thinking about the user experience implications of what your team is experimenting on.
- You are a thought partner to your business stakeholders and successfully influence product direction. Your ideas are actively sought out by Product Managers (PMs). You can take a conceptual idea and transform it into an actionable test that is both feasible and meets business needs.
- You can effectively prioritize and make tough trade-offs. You seek to understand other parts of the business, their limitations, and where product sensitivities lie. You balance competing concerns and make tough calls on where to cut scope vs. invest more heavily, and how to make resourcing trade-offs across multiple PMs.
- You embrace adaptability and flexibility. You are always looking for creative ways to keep your team nimble, and foster a culture that embraces change.
What leadership skills are important to us?
- Strong judgment - a key element of our trust-based culture is relying on leaders to apply good judgment to the numerous decisions across all the areas they’re responsible for. When you make mistakes, you learn from them and transparently share with others so that we all improve and learn.
- Thoughtful people management - you must be thoughtful and intentional in how you go about identifying, growing and managing the talent on your team. This includes both IC engineers and engineering managers.
- Inclusion and empathy - your direct team and cross-functional partners come from a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures. As the leader of the team, you set the standard for inclusivity on multiple dimensions, and lead with empathy to help your team work through challenging situations both professionally and personally.
- Clear communication - clear and direct written and verbal communication are a must for any leader at Netflix, and especially so for senior leaders. You can take complex concepts and succinctly reframe them so that different audiences can engage and understand.
Meet the team
- View the team’s presentation on who they are and what they do (Haiyan)
- Read about how we migrated our Android endpoints out of a monolith into a new microservice (Rohan and Ed)
- See one of our pull requests for Epoxy (Emmanuel)
- Read our take on Rx onError Guidelines (Ed)
- See some of our work highlighted at a Netflix Women In Tech Event
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Want to learn more about Netflix? Visit Netflix's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.
Tech Jobs For You
Business Design Summer Internship 2022 - Multiple Locations
IDEO, Cambridge, MA; Chicago, IL; San Francisco, CA