Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with over 209 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
About the team
Sitting within the Produce Edge Services organization, the Playback Data Systems (PDS) team builds and operates infrastructure and services to collect, process, and aggregate data pertaining to every playback session. We are responsible for several major product functions such as:
• Deliver high-quality aggregated data feeds that drive business-critical decisions around content performance and member viewing.
• Collect and process users' Viewing History, which is utilized to drive things like “Continue Watching” as well as personalization of home screen content.
• Store your bookmarks in near real-time, which allows for core product features such as “Resume Watching” where a user can switch viewing streams between different authorized devices, such as your TV or mobile phone.
• Provide APIs for real-time, low latency access of Viewing Data to downstream partner teams such as our Algorithms teams who use this information to deliver a personalized Netflix experience.
In order to serve these functions, we handle millions of events/sec and process multiple TBs of data daily!
See below for highlights of some of the team’s work:
Scaling time series data storage part 1 and part 2 (techblog)
At Netflix, our goal is to entertain the world. To do that, we are constantly creating new ways to enable and innovate how storytelling is produced, discovered, and enjoyed around the world. Doing so requires us to rethink how we utilize our members' data to provide the best, most tailored viewing experience imaginable.
As an engineer on the team, you’ll be pivotal in helping design and implement Netflix’s next generation of services focused on building near real-time APIs that help serve some of our most important data systems and insights. Your expertise will help shape our entire re-architecture all while scaling our existing core services such as telemetry ingestion, maintaining global users’ viewing history & bookmarks. You’ll help extend and innovate our services to meet expected user growth and future product features, all while working at an internet-scale.
- Address complex architectural problems with simple, scalable design
- Work across all phases of the software development lifecycle (planning, design, implementation, deployment, operations, and support)
- Collaborate effectively with teammates and technical partners
- Communicate technical ideas and direction in cross-functional settings
- Take end-to-end ownership of major features and components: from inception to deployment
- Have sharp attention to detail and openness to critique through code and design reviews
- Experience designing and implementing high-scale fault-tolerant distributed systems and microservices.
- Experience working with distributed data, managing/working with PB+ size datasets
- Experience with near real-time stream processing.
- Has led large-scale architectural changes with several stakeholders, and can talk to them.
- Strong technical communication skills.
- Ability to work cross-functionally for technical collaboration.
- Experience designing and implementing internet-scale services.
- Experience running services in production.
- Data modeling (e.g., JSON/protobuf)
- Experience working with Cassandra or similar NoSQL data storage technologies.
- Experience working with Kafka or similar pub-sub technologies.
- Experience working with large-scale distributed caches.
- Familiarity with Cloud-based architectures (AWS/Azure/GCP)
Netflix offers a creative culture
that values freedom and responsibility. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or other protected class. You can read more about our stance on diversity here