Manager, Production Technology Solutions
Netflix, Los Angeles, California
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
Your primary job functions are:
- To provide production domain expertise on Netflix’s cloud-native collaboration ecosystem initiative. Your goal is to ensure the approach and strategy are correctly defined, clearly scoped, and ultimately meet the expectations that Netflix hopes to achieve around workflow, efficiency, consistency, and quality at scale.
- To research, design, and implement next-generation picture workflows and systems for all Netflix post facilities. This includes components delivered via Netflix’s cloud-native collaboration ecosystem, as well as integrations with 3rd party production vendors. Your goal is to create a consistent model across the different service areas at our facilities around the world, promoting a coherent and best-in-class experience for our content creators. You are aware of cultural nuances, and will adapt / encompass specific regional requirements wherever applicable.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Partner closely with Studio Product Innovation (SPI) to define high level requirements, establish KPIs, conduct testing and QA. This includes tracking key milestones and timelines to ensure that we achieve the desired outcome.
- Partner closely with Creative Technologies (CT) and Media Systems Infrastructure (MSI) to document standards, technical requirements that will help define the functionality of our post facilities as well as the technical implementation of our collaboration ecosystems.
- Work with regional production management and the Production Technology and Operations (PT&O) teams on expectation management, testing strategies, and product rollout / operationalization. The goal is to establish workflow uniformity across our regional sites.
- Partner closely with Post Services (PS) and PT&O to develop a runbook to manage, operate, and support new product roll-outs, including handling exceptions and establishing recovery pathways.
- Work with Information Security to maintain high architectural and security standards. This includes defining use cases and strengthening the identity access management of on-prem / virtualized software accessed within our post facilities or remotely.
- Create a communication framework to solicit real-time feedback from both “front line” users, technical operators, and 3rd party collaborators to inform future innovation. This includes developing a feedback loop with SPI and MSI to provide valuable insights that will help us iterate on and ultimately improve / harden the platforms and tools we provide.
- Contribute to Netflix standards and policies to unify, standardize, normalize, and govern metadata across systems.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop a training and support program for workflow managers at post facilities. The goal is to ensure technical expertise is consistent across regions. The program will also empower all workflow managers to provide technical support for dailies, off-line, on-line, and color, as per our defined best practices.
- Partner with Creative Technologies (CT) and Production Technology Partnerships & Outreach (PTPO) teams to liaise and collaborate with key industry manufacturers and software developers, collaborating on the R&D of new tools and software to ensure optimization and consistency for our needs across our regional facilities
- Provide regular executive-level reporting
Additional criteria to be considered:
- A post-production technologist with a multi-faceted background in production technologies and workflows, software development, and data structures is ideal
- Must be comfortable operating within a matrixed organization, but possess the strategic and tactical acumen to navigate through ambiguity and partner with the right stakeholders to execute projects successfully.
- Adaptable management / leadership philosophy
- Ability to understand changing global production landscape, and competitive markets
- Willingness to embrace and drive technical innovation and disruption in production space
- 10+ years of experience in Post production, with roles in facility technology, workflow, and management, at a post production vendor, studio or network.
- Deep knowledge and experience of the content creation process, on set production and post production services and workflows.
- Understand the practical application and knowledge of color science for onset color management, dailies processing, color correction, and delivery workflows.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of metadata and how it tracks between production and post production
- Experience with and ability to respectfully, but authoritatively, engage with creative executives and content creators
- Ability to manage and operate in ambiguous situations and think on your feet to solve challenges and problems
- Strong communication skills with proven ability to socialize, explain and “sell” new and complex operational strategies, practices and workflows
- Proven track record of innovation, taking initiative, ideation and implementation
- Experience and understanding of requirement documentation, scoping and implementation of custom software development
- Proven ability to embrace, drive and enable change management
- Expertise and experience with cameras, software used on-set (e.g., Pomfort Live Grade, Silverstack, Hedge, QTake), dailies processing software (e.g., Colorfront OSD), non-linear edit software (e.g., AVID, Premiere, FinalCut), online editorial software (e.g., DaVinci Resolve, Baselight, Flame), color correction systems (e.g., DaVinci Resolve, Baselight), deliverables tools (e.g., Colorfront Transkoder, R&S Clipster), as well as file transfer applications (e.g., Aspera, Signiant, Pixspan)
- Proven to be an industry leader collaborating with professional organizations and industry consortiums, such as SMPTE, HPA, and BSC.
- Participate on panels for manufacturers or vendors at conferences like NAB, IBC, and online forums to name a few.
- Experience working with diverse teams across multiple functions, skills and locations
- Strong organizational skills with proactive mentality, positive orientation and outlook
- Ability to respond after hours for important, timely, or urgent matters
- Team-player who thrives in a fast paced, team-oriented setting
- Ability to handle a heavy volume of work, supervising several projects in various points of production (from development through delivery)
- Passionate about our culture and values in the workplace
- Willingness to travel
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Want to learn more about Netflix? Visit Netflix's website.
Beautiful event websites