New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
The Editorial team is at the core of everything New York Media does. Our team strikes the perfect balance of content that’s smart and funny so that our readers know everything they need to know to navigate a fast-moving culture, whether that’s up-to-date information on political events, cultural developments, fashion trends, or the latest scientific breakthroughs.
We are in a dynamic conversation with women about the issues that matter to them most — politics, feminism, work, money, relationships, mental health, fashion, and issues relating to equality. Our stories are organized around four categories: Style, Self, Culture, and Power — words that give us a framework for what it means to be a woman moving forward in the world today.
The Cut is hiring a Senior Editor with a broad range of interests and a focus on culture. We're looking for someone who thinks critically about culture and how it relates to gender and politics. You should be deeply curious, enthusiastic, and possess thorough understanding of what makes a Cut story. If you’re not an expert in how Hollywood works, that’s okay. We’re more interested in someone who gets Cut tone and has a sharp sense of humor.
- Manage and edit 2 staff writers and 2 weekly columnists
- Develop regular freelance culture writers
- Manage talent requests for profiles and Cut covers
- Develop overarching culture strategy for the Cut
- Coordinate and direct coverage of time-sensitive news events
- Monitor the Cut’s social-media feeds to ensure culture stories are being shared in the best possible manner
- Other responsibilities as assigned by manager
- Minimum of 5 years of journalism experience, with at least 3 years of editing
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- Familiarity editing longform writing
- Strong understanding and passion for the editorial sensibility of the Cut
- Experience responding to breaking news
- Ability to work independently and as part of a larger team
- A willingness and ability to attend/work events outside normal working hours as needed
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our team members are creative and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audience. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is crucial in maintaining our strength as a prominent media organization.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.
About New York Media
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture.