New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
The Editorial team is at the core of everything New York Media does. Our team strikes the perfect balance of content that’s smart and funny so that our readers know everything they need to know to navigate a fast-moving culture, whether that’s up-to-date information on political events, cultural developments, fashion trends, or the latest scientific breakthroughs.
Vulture is looking for a thoughtful, curious senior writer with a distinct written voice, unique perspective on entertainment, seasoned reporting skills, and insatiable appetite for creating and participating in cultural conversations about the arts. The ideal candidate will be fluent in writing essays, profiles, and ambitious reported features, and also have an editor's brain for developing ambitious editorial projects. Subject specialization is helpful, but what’s most important is someone who both understands the entertainment landscape and the big trends and narratives guiding it, and can define the conversation simply by telling great stories.
- Work with an enterprise editor to conceptualize features and maintain a story calendar
- Join editorial leadership conversations that chart the tentpole projects for the site and New York Magazine
- Pay close attention to the entertainment news cycle
- Regularly write big, conversation-driving pieces, from reacting to a big news story to working on long-lead features. Also contribute to special projects as both a writer and editorial strategist
- Willingness to contribute across Vulture’s many platforms, including video, live events, and Snapchat
- Other responsibilities as assigned by manager
- 5-10 years of experience writing feature-length stories, ideally with a background in reporting
- Track record of writing big stories that drive the conversation
- Deep knowledge of popular entertainment and the people that make it
- Comfort working within the 24/7 news cycle
- Ability to meet deadlines
- A network of sources including studio contacts, personal talent reps, and creators in the industry
- Bachelor's degree
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our team members are creative and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audience. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is crucial in maintaining our strength as a prominent media organization.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.
About New York Media
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture.