New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
The Editorial team is at the core of everything New York Media does. Our team strikes the perfect balance of content that’s smart and funny so that our readers know everything they need to know to navigate a fast-moving culture, whether that’s up-to-date information on political events, cultural developments, fashion trends, or the latest scientific breakthroughs.
We are looking for a Photo Editor (temporary) to contribute to the editing and presentation of photography and photographic treatments for New York Magazine. They will seek to ensure smooth operation of high volume photo production in support and expression of our editorial voice and goals. They strive to do so while pursuing visual/photographic ambition that creatively maximizes available time and resources. This role requires an equal balance of creativity and organization.
This position will be for approximately 2 months at 40 hours per week.
- Work with editors to select images for blog posts across the site on tight deadlines
- Source images for design team and illustrators when needed
- Optimize images technically and visually for publication on the web: color correction and siloing
- Coordinate retouching needs, delivery of images, and deadlines with artists
- Work collaboratively with New York Media teams on special projects
- Ensure images are properly licensed; negotiate and handle license agreements with photo agencies
- Maintain image metadata to ensure accurate credit and caption information are preserved
- Other responsibilities as assigned by manager or supervisor
- 1-3 years of experience in photo editing, preferably in media/publishing
- Experience shooting still life and/or portraiture, and in graphic design preferred
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite software, especially Photoshop. Strong image editing skills in color-correction; selection and compositing, image sizing, batch processing and photo-manipulation are particularly important
- An ability to work independently and in collaboration with others to identify the best means of illustrating a large volume of stories with a quick turnaround
- Strong communication skills and a team player
- Bachelor’s degree in photography, photojournalism, graphic design, or art preferred
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our team members are creative and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audience. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is crucial in maintaining our strength as a prominent media organization.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.
About New York Media
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture.