Senior Data Scientist
Newsela, New York NY
Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights.
Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. More than three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers and engaged readers are better learners.
As Newsela’s usage in classrooms all over the world has grown, so has our focus on using data-driven analysis and results across every area of our business in order to make us more efficient and effective in helping students learn to read. We’re looking to drive unprecedented gains in student literacy and are hiring a Data Scientist to get us there. You’re coming aboard to help us unlock the meaning behind the millions of data points we have and the millions more we’re accruing.
Your work will not only enhance Newsela and its products, it will immeasurably help teachers and improve student literacy around the globe. You’ll work with stakeholders across the company to enhance Newsela’s product features, functionality, and corporate strategy by providing our decision-makers with powerful data-driven results that help guide our thinking around user acquisition, engagement, conversion and learning.
If you’re as excited as we are about making meaningful change in education and affecting the lives of children everywhere, Newsela is the place for you.
- Leverage large datasets to building learning systems, model & algorithms to drive increased user engagement, conversion, and retention to help drive sales, marketing, customer success, and product strategy
- Analyze student reading and writing using multiple signals, including assessment and user interaction data.
- Collaborate with data managers and engineers to specify requirements for data infrastructure and storage.
- Communicate the context and value of data analysis to stakeholders so that it is accessible and actionable.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, STEM or related discipline.
- 3+ years of experience as a Data Scientist or 3+ years or related experience and completion of a “data science boot camp”
- Demonstrated success implementing machine learning methods to solve real world problems.
- Demonstrated programming experience in business environments, preferably with tools such as SQL, Python, R
- Proven mastery of statistics, including familiarity with both frequentist and Bayesian methodology.
- Demonstrated experience dealing with abstract data science problems and producing creative solutions.
- Strong communication skills.
- Has deep expertise in:
- Computational linguistics &/or Natural language processing
- Database systems
- Data visualization
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Newsela is an education technology startup dedicated to transforming the way students access the world through words. Their team combines powerful technological know-how with real-world experience earned in the classroom, the newsroom, and the boardroom. They publish high-interest news and nonfiction articles daily at five levels of complexity for grades 2-12 using a proprietary, rapid text-leveling process. By combining relevant and interesting nonfiction content with standards-aligned assessments, Newsela gives educators the primary solution to dramatically improve students’ literacy skills for the 21st century.
Want to learn more about Newsela? Visit Newsela's website.
Jobs You May Like
Customer Insights Analyst
KPMG New Zealand, Auckland or Wellington
Data Scientist, Customer Operations
Squarespace, New York, NY
Lead Data Science Immersive Instructor
General Assembly, Austin, TX
Production Engineer - Data Infra
SimilarWeb, Tel Aviv
Senior Lead Infrastructure Specialist
Catapult Systems, Houston, TX