Product Manager, Recommendations
Newsela, New York, NY
Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights.
Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. Four years since our launch, Newsela is in 75% of US schools, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
We’re looking for an amazing Product Manager to lead the development of our content recommendations across our web and mobile products. If you’re interested in doing for student reading engagement what Amazon did for ecommerce, Spotify has done for streaming audio content, and Netflix is doing for streaming video content, this is your opportunity.
Your goal will be to save teachers and students time by providing just-right recommendations on which articles and text sets teachers should assign next and what students should read next. You will have at your disposal (1) a fast-growing library of thousands of high-interest, accessible articles; (2) more than a million registered teachers and and more than ten million registered students who want to spend their time reading and teaching, not searching; and (3) world class engineering, data science and design teams.
- Own Newsela’s content recommendation roadmap, from forming the vision to identifying opportunities and setting performance indicators, to planning and executing on the roadmap, continuously adjusting course based on what you learn.
- Lead fast-paced, cross-functional teams to drive innovation, pursue high impact opportunities, and continuously iterate.
- Optimize current and build new discovery mechanisms to maximize relevance and connect teachers and students with the most impactful content.
- Translate ambiguous problems into structured recommendations and clear product vision through strategic thinking, data analysis, and an insightful understanding of our customers.
- Partner closely with our Data team to gather and analyze data and report on various metrics.
The Ideal Candidate
- A BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 10+ years professional experience.
- 5+ years working in a product management role.
- Demonstrated record of success in establishing Recommendation product vision and strategy and leading implementation teams, resulting in measurable real world impact.
- Demonstrated understanding of analytic techniques that are required to be successful in this role.
A Few Plusses
- Strong quantitative analytical ability and excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, start-up environment.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Newsela is an education technology startup dedicated to transforming the way students access the world through words. Their team combines powerful technological know-how with real-world experience earned in the classroom, the newsroom, and the boardroom. They publish high-interest news and nonfiction articles daily at five levels of complexity for grades 2-12 using a proprietary, rapid text-leveling process. By combining relevant and interesting nonfiction content with standards-aligned assessments, Newsela gives educators the primary solution to dramatically improve students’ literacy skills for the 21st century.
Want to learn more about Newsela? Visit Newsela's website.
Jobs You May Like
Software Engineer - Intern (Hamburg, Fall 2018)
Yelp, Hamburg, Germany
EnerNOC, US - Boston, MA
Technical Business Analyst
Senior Product Manager, Monitoring and Diagnostics
MongoDB, New York City
Collective Health, San Francisco