Web Application Developer
Newsela, Mountain View, CA
Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights.
Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. More than three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
Web Application Developers at Newsela work on big problems in literacy education, from building the infrastructure necessary to handle tens of millions of users to solving novel problems in text complexity and personalization. We believe that code is language and we care deeply about the relationships developers have with each other and the company as a whole. Developers work closely with product managers, designers, and domain experts to build software that’s beautiful and useful. If you love working on features that make a real difference, this role is for you.
- Write thoughtful, literate code under the guidance of a Senior Web Developer.
- Work on an interdisciplinary team to translate high-level project goals into concrete tasks.
- Bring technical expertise and creativity to your projects and conversations.
- Handle sometimes competing priorities through good time management and communication.
The Ideal Candidate
- Over 3 years of professional full-stack web application development experience.
- Demonstrated contributions to complex, high-traffic, performance-optimized web applications.
- Hands-on experience with front-end frameworks, particularly React and Redux (or another Flux-like architecture).
- Demonstrated ability to be self-driven and work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated experience with Git and code collaboration in teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience working in education.
- An eye for interaction design, user experience, and finishing touches.
- Strong expertise in any of the following areas:
- human-computer interaction, particularly accessibility;
- mobile development, including responsive design;
- operations, including AWS, dev-ops or data engineering;
- data science, including machine learning, statistics or data visualization.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Newsela is an education technology startup dedicated to transforming the way students access the world through words. Their team combines powerful technological know-how with real-world experience earned in the classroom, the newsroom, and the boardroom. They publish high-interest news and nonfiction articles daily at five levels of complexity for grades 2-12 using a proprietary, rapid text-leveling process. By combining relevant and interesting nonfiction content with standards-aligned assessments, Newsela gives educators the primary solution to dramatically improve students’ literacy skills for the 21st century.
Want to learn more about Newsela? Visit Newsela's website.
Jobs You May Like
Front End Engineer
Class Pass, San Francisco
IOS (swift) SDK Developer
Gigya, Tel Aviv, Israel
Business Intelligence Architect
Slack, San Francisco
Software Engineer - Performance Tools & Infrastructure
Frontend Engineer (Project X)
Postmates, San Francisco