Web Application Developer
Newsela, Mountain View, CA
Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights.
Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that combines engaging, leveled content with integrated formative assessments and insights to supercharge engagement and learning in every subject. Students and teachers use Newsela to find digital content from hundreds of the best sources—from National Geographic to NASA, Biography.com to Encyclopedia Britannica, the Washington Post to the Wichita Eagle. Content is instructionalized to meet students where they are, with interactive tools and analytics to take them where they want to go. Newsela has become an essential solution for schools and districts, with a presence in over 90% of U.S. K-12 schools. Newsela is the content platform for the connected classroom.
Web Application Developers at Newsela work on big problems in literacy education, from building the infrastructure necessary to handle tens of millions of users to solving novel problems in text complexity and personalization. We believe that code is language and we care deeply about the relationships developers have with each other and the company as a whole. Developers work closely with product managers, designers, and domain experts to build software that’s beautiful and useful. If you love working on features that make a real difference, this role is for you.
- Participate in all phases of front-end development including designing, developing, testing, and delivery;
- Review and modify application design, coding, testing, deployment and operations to ensure application is functioning at maximum speed and scalability;
- Test feasibility of user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) designs;
- Participate in peer code reviews to ensure quality and code consistency;
- Bring technical expertise and innovative ideas to solve complex web technology and programming problems;
- Research emerging web based technologies for continuous improvement.
The Ideal Candidate
- 3+ years of professional full-stack web application development experience.
- Demonstrated contributions to complex, high-traffic, performance-optimized web applications.
- Hands-on experience with front-end frameworks, particularly React and Redux (or another Flux-like architecture).
- Demonstrated ability to be self-driven and work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated experience with Git and code collaboration in teams.
- Demonstrated experience working in education.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- An eye for interaction design, user experience, and finishing touches.
- Strong expertise in any of the following areas:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or similar software development field.
Newsela is an education technology startup dedicated to transforming the way students access the world through words. Their team combines powerful technological know-how with real-world experience earned in the classroom, the newsroom, and the boardroom. They publish high-interest news and nonfiction articles daily at five levels of complexity for grades 2-12 using a proprietary, rapid text-leveling process. By combining relevant and interesting nonfiction content with standards-aligned assessments, Newsela gives educators the primary solution to dramatically improve students’ literacy skills for the 21st century.