We are looking to hire a top-notch Controller to join our growing team at Nextdoor. You will own and play a significant role in all core finance and accounting functions, and help to define processes, procedures and expansion. You should be comfortable with working in a fast-paced, rapidly growing startup environment and show great initiative about what you can do in this role. If you are seeking an intellectually demanding, high-impact role in scaling the finance and accounting function, with lots of room to grow and learn, we want to hear from you!
- Revenue recognition compliance for subscription-based model and CPM-based model, and the related COGS reporting and compliance.
- Oversee worldwide consolidation of multiple entities (currently 5) and provide technical guidance to the team members to perform the monthly consolidation with limited system automation while looking for future system upgrades. Solid understanding of ASC 830.
- Own the entire month-end close process and develop internal best practices
- Oversee and review accounts payable, employee expense reports, and support other day-to-day finance functions
- Prepare, update and analyze financial statements including: flux analyses, budget versus actuals, board packages, and others
- Participate in annual budgeting cycle and ongoing reforecast; build and maintain a complex financial model
- Prepare quarterly investor financial reporting packages for outside investors
- Reconcile and analyze all balance sheet accounts and key P&L accounts
- Participate in developing a standard management reporting package to report financial metrics
- Own the company’s capitalization table – manage all employee stock option activities, 409A valuation, ASC 718 expense reporting, and other stock administrative functions
- Participate in all system automation and implementation projects – equity administration software, accounting system, Expensify, forecasting system, etc.
- Assist in reviewing and negotiating key legal contracts
- Act as a business partner with all other teams across the company to build scalable processes and drive best practices
- Bachelor’s degree in financial accounting (or another related field); CPA certification required (active, preferred)
- 5+ years industry experience required; Big-4 and/or high-growth startup experience are both preferred
- Impeccable ethics and strong audit skills across all aspects of accounting and finance
- Excellent communication skills: written, oral, presentation, in-person and on the phone.
- Attentive to complex details, and able to conduct technical accounting research and make sound proposals
- Strong problem solving skills, ability to organize and complete large-scale projects and have a passion for process improvements
- Strong system skills – Excel, Quickbooks Online, ShareWorks, and other comparable systems
- Passion for the Nextdoor mission and core values
- Self-motivated, curious, diligent and ability to work independently
- The opportunity to work with a collaborative and entrepreneurial team on a powerful mission to change the world, one neighborhood at a time
- 100% company-paid health insurance premiums (medical, dental and vision) for you and your family, 401K plan, Commuter benefits through Clipper card, paid vacation and company holidays
- Meaningful equity for all employees
- Free catered dinners during the week, Monday through Thursday, fully stocked kitchens with drinks, snacks and candy, and La Marzocco espresso machine with Blue Bottle coffee
- Shiny Apple products and the option of an adjustable standing desk
About Nextdoor Nextdoor is the private social network for you, your neighbors and your community. It's the easiest way for you and your neighbors to talk online and make all of your lives better in the real world. And it's free. Thousands of neighborhoods are already using Nextdoor to build happier, safer places to call home. People are using Nextdoor to: Quickly get the word out about a break-in Organize a Neighborhood Watch Group Track down a trustworthy babysitter Find out who does the best paint job in town Ask for help keeping an eye out for a lost dog Find a new home for an outgrown bike Finally call that nice man down the street by his first name Nextdoor’s mission is to provide a trusted platform where neighbors work together to build stronger, safer, happier communities, all over the world.