Are you passionate about using the power of technology to build community? Do you believe residents can strengthen their neighborhoods through dialog and collaboration? Would you like to join a transformative company and play a meaningful role in crafting its future? If so, we’d love to meet you.
We’re seeking an experienced software engineer to design, build and maintain scalable, distributed systems that power Nextdoor's neighborhood communication platform. You will work with multi-functional teams to translate product requirements into elegantly designed backend services that scale gracefully as our service grows. You will be responsible for designing and scaling interfaces, data stores, and backend services that power our iOS, Android, and HTML5 frontends.
- You are passionate about building clean APIs for fellow engineers, writing crisp design documentation, and building, debugging and maintaining highly available distributed systems
- You value software quality and have experience writing test suites that ensure bullet-proof correctness
- You have experience building tools and automation that can aid in programmer productivity and work to eliminate downtime in both the system and the development process
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science (or another related field) with specific interest in systems engineering; 2+ years industry experience preferred
- Proven entrepreneurial spirit and experience as a self-starter - ideally at your own business or on your own side projects
- Experience working on high-performance technical teams and software engineering projects
- Strong fundamental understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Extensive experience in one or more of the following languages: Go, Python, Java or C++ (Go/Python preferred)
- Experience designing, building and debugging distributed systems
- Experience architecting and deploying distributed systems on the Amazon AWS EC2 platform
- Familiarity with software engineering standard methodologies (e.g., design patterns, peer code reviews, unit testing)
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Experience writing technical specifications and design documents
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in a dynamic start-up environment
- Strong desire to learn about new technologies and systems
- The opportunity to work with a collaborative and entrepreneurial team on a powerful mission to change the world, one neighborhood at a time
- 100% company-paid health insurance premiums (medical, dental and vision) for you and your family
- Paid vacation and company holidays
- 401K plan
- Meaningful equity for all employees
- Pre Tax Commuter benefits through Clipper card
- Free catered dinners during the week, Monday through Thursday
- Fully stocked kitchens with drinks, snacks, and candy
- La Marzocco espresso machine with Blue Bottle coffee
- Shiny Apple products on you first day
To learn more, check out our engineering blog at https://engblog.nextdoor.com.
About Nextdoor Nextdoor is the private social network for you, your neighbors and your community. It's the easiest way for you and your neighbors to talk online and make all of your lives better in the real world. And it's free. Thousands of neighborhoods are already using Nextdoor to build happier, safer places to call home. People are using Nextdoor to: Quickly get the word out about a break-in Organize a Neighborhood Watch Group Track down a trustworthy babysitter Find out who does the best paint job in town Ask for help keeping an eye out for a lost dog Find a new home for an outgrown bike Finally call that nice man down the street by his first name Nextdoor’s mission is to provide a trusted platform where neighbors work together to build stronger, safer, happier communities, all over the world.
Want to learn more about Nextdoor? Visit Nextdoor's website.
Jobs You May Like
Production Support Engineer
Cardlytics, Visakhapatnam, India
Data Engineer - Scala/Java
Rubicon Project, Playa Vista, CA or Seattle, WA
Software Engineer - Platform
OneLogin, Redmond, WA
iOS Developer Barcelona
Director of Technology
Culture Amp, Melbourne
Site Reliability Engineer