Nextdoor is where neighbors turn for trusted connections and the exchange of helpful information, goods, and services. Nextdoor’s purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Building connections in the real world is a universal human need. That truth, and the reality that neighborhoods are one of the most important and useful communities in our lives have been guiding principles for Nextdoor. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in neighborhoods around the world in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Australia and Canada, with many more to come.
Meet your Future Neighbors
As an Android Senior Software Engineer at Nextdoor, you’ll join a fast moving team of developers, product managers, and designers who are passionate about using technology to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighbor they can rely on.
The Nextdoor Android team works on features and infrastructure to deliver our values to our members. We care about making an incredible Android app that respects platform conventions and is delightful to use. We’re always trying to move faster and more safely, by adopting the latest practices, such as Kotlin, MVI and GraphQL.
The Impact You’ll Make
We believe in empowering our teams to own all aspects of bringing Nextdoor to life. As such, you’ll get the opportunity to make key contributions across our Android stack - this includes developing and improving our networking, analytics, experiments, modular app structure, and testing infrastructure - in addition to making direct contributions to Nextdoor’s product.
We believe engineers should have a stake over all aspects of the product - from coming up with the next big ideas to build, through helping set expectations and plan roadmaps, all the way through understanding the impact of new features through rigorous data analysis. As your career at Nextdoor develops, you’ll also get the chance to mentor other team members, and grow your role towards what you’re most passionate about.
What You’ll Bring to The House
- 5+ years of experience as an Engineer.
- You’ve been building Android apps long enough to remember hitting the DEX Limit.
- You crave enchanting Nextdoor’s users with delightful, polished and bug-free features, but you know how to ship consistently and quickly.
- Desire to mentor junior engineers and enthusiastic about up-leveling our engineering culture.
- Strong self-motivation and flexibility with excitement to improve any part of the app, from the fragment transitions to the analytics framework.
- You make a point to test your obviously bug-free code with frameworks like JUnit, Mockito, and Espresso - just to be safe.
- Passionate about Nextdoor’s mission and being a good neighbor.
- Expertise in Kotlin and leveraging its features to increase the safety and clarity of our codebase.
- Familiar with modern networking stack, such as OkHttp, Retrofit, and GraphQL.
- Passion for UI architecture best practices such as MVI and libraries including RxJava, MvRx, and Epoxy.
- Familiar with architecting a large app for efficient modularization and dependency injection via Dagger and Gradle.
- You think the only real Android phones are Pixels.
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the customers we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
About Nextdoor Nextdoor is the private social network for you, your neighbors and your community. It's the easiest way for you and your neighbors to talk online and make all of your lives better in the real world. And it's free. Thousands of neighborhoods are already using Nextdoor to build happier, safer places to call home. People are using Nextdoor to: Quickly get the word out about a break-in Organize a Neighborhood Watch Group Track down a trustworthy babysitter Find out who does the best paint job in town Ask for help keeping an eye out for a lost dog Find a new home for an outgrown bike Finally call that nice man down the street by his first name Nextdoor’s mission is to provide a trusted platform where neighbors work together to build stronger, safer, happier communities, all over the world.
Want to learn more about Nextdoor? Visit Nextdoor's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.