Nextdoor is the neighbourhood hub for you, your neighbours and the broader local community. Nextdoor’s purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Building connections in the real world is a universal human need. That truth, and the reality that neighbourhoods are one of the most important and useful communities in our lives have been guiding principles for Nextdoor. Today, neighbours rely on Nextdoor in neighbourhoods around the world in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Australia and Canada, with many more to come.
Meet your Future Neighbors
At Nextdoor, we believe in the transformative power of community. You will be joining a team that is passionate about connecting neighbours and local businesses around the world, and equally passionate about building an unrivaled engineering culture that encourages collaboration, camaraderie and belonging.
And of course, you will be working with other fantastic engineers, product managers, designers, data scientists, etc. You will have the opportunity to learn from your co-workers and teach them. As a team, we will make each other better and build great software.
The Impact You’ll Make
Local Businesses are a major focus for Nextdoor in 2020 and beyond. As the neighbourhood hub, we have a unique opportunity to foster meaningful connections between neighbours and the local businesses they love. Nextdoor will be the place that businesses introduce themselves, advertise special deals and events, and tell their story to their communities.
As part of this team, you will play a crucial role in defining, architecting, and building the systems and features that enable local businesses to join and participate in their Nextdoor communities. You will also be laying the groundwork for a huge part of Nextdoor's business model in the coming years..
In addition to writing code, you’ll have the opportunity to help define the features that we build, through collaboration internally, and in some cases, talking to our customers and members to understand how we can better serve them.
Day-to-day you should expect to be doing the following:
- Full stack development in a variety of languages/frameworks including:
- Native iOS and/or Android
- Collaborating with product management and design to ensure we work on the right things in the right way.
- Working with other engineering teams in Toronto, San Francisco and beyond.
- Helping to improve the processes and technology that drive how we work, especially as a member of a newer location.
What You’ll Bring to The House
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience.
- Strong fundamental understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Strong coding abilities in at least one language. Python experience preferred.
- Experience in native iOS or Android (or a strong willingness to learn) required.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in a dynamic startup environment.
- Strong desire to learn about new technologies and systems.
About Nextdoor Nextdoor is the private social network for you, your neighbors and your community. It's the easiest way for you and your neighbors to talk online and make all of your lives better in the real world. And it's free. Thousands of neighborhoods are already using Nextdoor to build happier, safer places to call home. People are using Nextdoor to: Quickly get the word out about a break-in Organize a Neighborhood Watch Group Track down a trustworthy babysitter Find out who does the best paint job in town Ask for help keeping an eye out for a lost dog Find a new home for an outgrown bike Finally call that nice man down the street by his first name Nextdoor’s mission is to provide a trusted platform where neighbors work together to build stronger, safer, happier communities, all over the world.