Engineering Lead - Maps
Nextdoor is the neighborhood hub for you, your neighbors and the broader local community. Nextdoor’s purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Building connections in the real world is a universal human need. That truth, and the reality that neighborhoods are one of the most important and useful communities in our lives have been guiding principles for Nextdoor. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in neighborhoods around the world in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Australia and Canada, with many more to come.
Meet your Future Neighbors
The goal of the maps team is to enable Nextdoor to build context aware experience of any neighborhood with a sense of place and the power of proximity. Maps will support use cases across Nextdoor including members, businesses, brands and agencies. As the maps team, we have a unique opportunity to develop uniquely Nextdoor experiences that help anyone find the neighborhood’s inside scoop and connect with like minded neighbors and those who can help.
As the team lead, you will be crucial to defining, architecting and building the core maps system and team that enable neighbors to experience a sense of place as they participate in the Neighborhood. As the engineering leader you will be leading a team that is defining and executing on the 0-1 initiatives for 2021 and laying the foundation for the growth years to come.
Responsibilities to The Team
- Provide architectural guidance and mentorship to up-level the engineering organization
- Provide technical guidance at the architecture and product level.
- Ensure quality and timeliness of shipped software.
- Ensure project health and progress using project management tools such as JIRA.
- Facilitate collaboration across engineering teams.
- Recruit, build, coach and mentor, reinforcing engineering excellence.
- Promote a culture of feedback and transparent communication.
- Review others’ work and share knowledge
What You’ll Bring to The House
- BS, MS or PhD in relevant technical field, or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years of hands-on technical management experience leading a full stack team.
- Familiarity with OpenStreetMap (OSM) or commercial map data(Google, Mapbox, etc) and tool chains.
- Experience with geospatial, location based services.
- 8+ years’ experience in software design, development, and algorithm related solutions
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in a dynamic start-up environment
- Strong desire to learn about new technologies and systems.
- Experience working with Places of Interest (POI).
About Nextdoor Nextdoor is the private social network for you, your neighbors and your community. It's the easiest way for you and your neighbors to talk online and make all of your lives better in the real world. And it's free. Thousands of neighborhoods are already using Nextdoor to build happier, safer places to call home. People are using Nextdoor to: Quickly get the word out about a break-in Organize a Neighborhood Watch Group Track down a trustworthy babysitter Find out who does the best paint job in town Ask for help keeping an eye out for a lost dog Find a new home for an outgrown bike Finally call that nice man down the street by his first name Nextdoor’s mission is to provide a trusted platform where neighbors work together to build stronger, safer, happier communities, all over the world.
Want to learn more about Nextdoor? Visit Nextdoor's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos