Nextdoor is where you connect to the neighborhoods that matter to you so you can belong. Our purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Neighbors around the world turn to Nextdoor daily to receive trusted information, give and get help, get things done, and build real-world connections with those nearby — neighbors, businesses, and public services. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in more than 290,000 neighborhoods across 11 countries.
Meet Your Future Neighbors
As a lead/staff software engineer on the Data Platform Team, you’ll drive decisions, architecture, and execution for our streaming data platform. Our streaming data platform is built on top of kafka to empower product engineers, ML engineers, and data scientists to build and manage their own streaming data pipelines for use in a wide variety of areas throughout the business.
The Impact You’ll Make
Data is the most valuable asset we have at Nextdoor. We need your help to enable our teams to build the best products as quickly as possible, by leveraging near realtime data. Not everyone is or needs to be fluent in KStreams, Flink, and Spark Streaming, but everyone needs data to build their products, ML features, etc, and that’s where you come in.
Your responsibilities will include:
- You’ll envision, architect, build, and own a highly scalable streaming data platform that will help power the development of Nextdoor for the foreseeable future
- You’ll actively participate in all phases of the software development lifecycle: analysis, technical design, planning, development, testing/CICD, release, and post production/escalation support
- You’ll build partnerships with key stakeholders, evangelize the use of the platform, and develop a roadmap for future development
What You’ll Bring To The Team
- BS or above degree in Computer Science and/or the ability to perform at an advanced level in the domain
- 8+ years of data engineering experience with experience leading a team and building applications on a large-scale distributed computing infrastructure in a cloud environment
- Ability to act as a tech lead, planning implementation, and mentor junior members of the team
- Highly hands on with coding/designing, leading and developing a large-scale multi-tenant software
- Hands on experience building and operating on top of Kafka, Kubernetes, and AWS
- Results oriented with strong analytical and problem solving skills, and Experience in leading broad initiatives and teams
- Strong programming ability in at least one of the following: python, scala, or java
- Customer empathy with a focus on enabling and self-service
- Familiarity with KStreams, Flink, Spark, and/or other streaming technologies
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the neighbors we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people.
About Nextdoor Nextdoor is the private social network for you, your neighbors and your community. It's the easiest way for you and your neighbors to talk online and make all of your lives better in the real world. And it's free. Thousands of neighborhoods are already using Nextdoor to build happier, safer places to call home. People are using Nextdoor to: Quickly get the word out about a break-in Organize a Neighborhood Watch Group Track down a trustworthy babysitter Find out who does the best paint job in town Ask for help keeping an eye out for a lost dog Find a new home for an outgrown bike Finally call that nice man down the street by his first name Nextdoor’s mission is to provide a trusted platform where neighbors work together to build stronger, safer, happier communities, all over the world.
Want to learn more about Nextdoor? Visit Nextdoor's website.
Help the world share their story