Senior Backend Engineer
NovoEd, United States, Remote
We're making online education effective and engaging
We build the next generation of learning technology to offer engaging learning experiences at scale through social collaborative learning. Our platform is used by enterprise companies including those in the Fortune 500, top universities, training firms, and foundations, around the world to provide collaborative/social learning experiences to adult learners. These learning experiences replicate in-person learning experiences such as workshops that have traditionally been hard to bring online. Social collaboration and peer learning are not only built into our product, but also the DNA of our company. We have a collaborative team with a passion for learning and an amazing culture. NovoEd is committed to providing a place of opportunity and growth for all as we strive to build a team that better reflects the communities we live and work in. Join a team that is committed to equal representation in the workplace.
Who Are You?
You are a backend engineer with a background in computer science or computer engineering or similar related degrees. You are passionate about designing scalable backend systems, reliable backend APIs, fault-tolerant integrations and third-party API systems. You are a great owner and have a strong can-do problem solving attitude. You are a critical thinker, and communicate with clarity. You are deeply familiar with software design patterns and able to apply the right one to the right problem. You take pride in the overall outcome and quality of your work. You engage with client-side team members on the design of an overall experience and help create the best software outcome. You are motivated to grow as an engineer and be part of a strong team.
What Will You Do?
- Collaborate with client-side developers in web and mobile development to design new product features and concepts.
- Develop RESTful JSON APIs that will be used by client side teams to serve our app.
- Design backend data models, caching scheme, background processing/queuing, reporting, notifications/real-time updates aspects related to your features.
- Work with other backend team members to choose the right design patterns, data model definitions, and algorithms for extendability, reusability and reliability of our backend systems.
- Design and build fault-tolerant integrations into systems of interest.
- Use backend profiling tools to investigate performance challenges and optimize backend APIs, or backend design to ensure performance of our technology.
- Investigate technology defects and propose solutions to client issues or issues reported by the quality assurance team.
What Skills Are Needed For This Role?
Experience & Skills
- A CS Degree or equivalent
- 5+ years (outside of school) of experience working as a backend developer in an API team or web development capacity
- 3+ years of experience writing SQL queries using object relational data interfaces
- 3+ years of experience with rails
- 3+ years of experience designing software applications: data models, abstractions
- Strong problem solver.
- Strong debugging skills. Strong ability to isolate and identify problems.
- Strong ownership and collaboration skills.
- Clarity in communication.
- Fluency in English.
- Experience with AWS, EC2 and Docker
- Experience with Ruby, Python or PhP
- Experience with Memcached and Redis
- Experience with information retrieval and real time search
Why Will You Love NovoEd?
- A collaborative work environment
- Paid parental leave for moms and dads
- Flexible vacation days
- Comprehensive health care coverage
- Phone bill reimbursements (Yes! Your personal phone bill!)
- Internet bill reimbursements
NovoEd provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
What’s the hiring process?
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will interview onsite or virtually 1-2 times with a total of 3-10 people, depending on the seniority of the role.
Our Background NovoEd, Inc. is a software company on a mission to make online education more effective and engaging. NovoEd creates the most engaging online platform for the modern learner. Our solutions enable our customers to more productively train their employees, partners, customers, and students. Founded at Stanford, NovoEd developed technology to make online learning more like great in-person learning. Our first clients were some of the top business schools, including Stanford GSB, Wharton, and UVA Darden. As millennials became a significant part of the workforce, companies began demanding modern learning solutions built for the mobile, social learner. Now, NovoEd serves organizations around the world that need a better way to teach online – whether it’s employee training, partner enablement, executive education, or university programs.
Want to learn more about NovoEd? Visit NovoEd's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.