Nylas is a pioneer and leading provider of universal communications APIs that allow developers to quickly connect their applications to every email, calendar, or contacts provider in the world. Over 40,000 developers around the globe use the Nylas communications platform to process over 1.2 billion API requests and 20TB of data per day from providers such as Gmail, Microsoft Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo! and more.
Who We Are
Nylas was founded in 2013 and has raised over $175M to date from Tiger Global, 8VC, Spark Capital, Slack, and more; as well as individual investors including Patrick Collison
, Co-Founder and CEO of Stripe, John Collison
, President and Co-Founder of Stripe, Sebastian Siemiatkowski
, CEO of Klarna, and Tony Fadell
. Developers around the world use Nylas to quickly and securely build email, scheduling, and work automation features into their applications. Nylas customers include Upwork, Wix, Freshworks, Lever, Dialpad, Ceridian, and Move.com
Our Work Philosophy
Nylas is also big believers in the safety and well-being of our employees and society, which is why we are onboarding all new Nylanauts remotely during this global pandemic until there is a vaccine and it is safe for humans to resume their pre-COVID lifestyles.
AND once COVID-19 pandemic eventually comes to an end, we will continue to embrace Remote First philosophy, with a minor twist: Remote First, Office Second. That's right! It's about how you work, not where you work. Nylanauts can choose any workspace or environment that will result in more ideas, engagement, creativity, focus, collaboration, and productivity. It's true. Nylanauts can work from the slopes of Missoula or beaches of San Diego. Wherever motivates them; inspires them to be better versions of themselves. And if Nylanauts wish to work from an office in one of our hubs (San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London), they can! The workspace is there to be utilize.
Why Remote First, Office Second? Because we not only believe in respecting individual working styles, disabilities, and personal schedules, but also ensuring everyone has a better work-life balance. The outcomes will always be more important than the physical location.
So, if you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product, and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you. Want to know more? Check us out on Comparably
and Great Place to Work
About the team
Our Features team is growing in Toronto! Our team helps build and expand the Nylas Cloud APIs, which allow our customers and developers to make effortless use of email, calendar, and contact data. We want to create tools and features that make it easier for developers to use our platform in building their applications, and increase our product offerings into new territory.
About the role
As a Software Engineer, you'll help us scale and build new products on top of our APIs. Right now, our open-source Python sync engine regularly archives terabytes of data across a massive SQL cluster, and our Flask APIs handle tens of millions of requests a day. We aim to scale that several times over in the next year.
Our engineers end-to-end own and ship new features, like offering Contact sync, while providing mentorship through pairing. They shard our webhook systems, then re-architect in SQS as we scale. They solve tricky customer issues, debug slow MySQL queries, and sometimes get into the depths of MIME and other email protocols. On the side, they improve our internal developer experience, most recently with MyPy, and open-source our custom-built tools. They talk at conferences
, write blog posts
, and make strong showings at local events.
You should have a growth mindset, enough engineering experience to architect complex systems, a track record of managing your own projects, and a strong sense of practical shippability over engineering purity. You should also tend toward humbleness in your abilities and have an innate desire to pass knowledge onto others.
Meet Your Manager: Phil Renaud - Director of Engineering
What do you love about Nylas? What motivates you?
Nylas is in the rare position of growing at an incredible rate, while having several years of a successful product with lots of core users. This means that there’s an air of responsibility -- for every Nylanaut to push ourselves forward and build something new and exciting -- but there’s also a lot to learn from our continued success. Nylas is a company that lets you grow in different ways, and that’s uncommon and fantastic.
What is something a candidate should know about you?
I’m into baseball statistics more than any one person ought to be.
How do you like to manage your team?
With as little overhead as possible! My goal is to be a communication path for my team, but more importantly, to participate in their work alongside them. We review each others work, code pair together, and have shared sessions where new project ideas are brought to light. No clunky hierarchy needed.
How do you view career growth/opportunity for your team?
We care a lot about making progress, but we also know it looks different for everybody. That’s why, on this team, we make a point of having regular check-ins about career growth and development, and let you steer the ship. Whether you’re looking to accelerate your career path into senior+ development, working in an executive role, or helping develop new and exciting product architecture, there’s a path forward at Nylas.
- Fast, iterative feature prototyping
- Developing on a Python application codebase written in Flask
- Working collaboratively with a team of developers, designers, and product owners to develop and evolve features
- Writing automated tests to ensure reliability of our features
- Designing and influencing the design of systems that leverage distributed computing and storage
- Working with cloud-based deployments and application environments
- Intellectually curious, passionate, and inventive
- 2-3 years of feature development in Python (nice to have experience in Ruby, Node.js, Go, Java, and/or PHP)
- Competency in at least one Python application framework (like Flask or Django)
- Experience with modern database and storage (MySQL, NoSQL)
- Experience creating and developing on RESTful APIs
- Experience iterating with git / modern version control
- Experience working at a startup or a fast-paced environment
- Someone who wants to be a strong individual contributor and lead large scale technical projects
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
- Healthcare: 90% premium coverage for medical, dental and vision for you and your family
- Additional: Health and DC FSA, Life insurance, with options for STD, LTD
- Retirement Plan: match up to 1% of annual salary for 401k or RRSP contributions
- Education Stipend: $1k annual education & development benefit
- Perk card: $150 per month towards health, wellness, and other perks via Assembly
- Cell Phone: $50 per month stipend towards cell phone reimbursement
Recent Company Awards
- Fastest Growing Companies (Inc 500)
- 2021 Best Teams: Sales (Comparably)
- 2021 Best Company for Career Growth (Comparably)
- 2021 Best Company Leadership (Comparably)
- 2021 Best CEOs for Diversity (Comparably)
- 2020 Great Place to Work (Great Place to Work)
- 2020 Best Places for Professional Development (Comparably)
- 2020 Happiest Employees (Comparably)
- 2020 Best Companies for Compensation (Comparably)
- 2020 Best Companies for Perks & Benefits (Comparably)
- 2020 Best Companies for Work-Life Balance (Comparably)
Nylas is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states/provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state/province where Nylas is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Nylas is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also EEO is the Law