About the Obama Foundation
At the Obama Foundation, we are guided by a core belief: that ordinary people working together can change history. Our mission is to inspire those people to take action, empower them to change their world for the better, and connect them so they can achieve more together than they can alone.
We were founded by community organizers, so when we seek change, we do it by bringing people together.
That approach begins at home, on the South Side of Chicago, where we are building the Obama Presidential Center. The Center represents a historic opportunity for Chicago: a chance to build a world-class museum and public gathering space that celebrates our nation’s first African American President and First Lady, steps away from where he began his career, where she was raised, and where—together—they made their home.
But that approach extends to all our work, whether its holding leadership training sessions in communities throughout the U.S., bringing local leaders together in countries around the world, working to support the global education of girls, or ensuring young men of color have pathways to opportunity.
As President Obama has said, “we cannot solve the challenges of our time unless we solve them together.” So join us.
For more information, please visit www.obama.org.
About the Role
As a member of the Digital team, the Email Developer will lead execution of the Foundation’s email efforts, including building, segmenting, testing, optimizing, and reporting on the success of our email program using Salesforce Marketing Cloud. The Email Developer will report to the Engineering Manager.
The Email Developer will be responsible for achieving the following outcomes within the first year:
- Within 1 month, a comprehensive report is produced that highlights the strengths and weaknesses of our current email program, from both a technical and performance perspective, along with recommendations for improvement.
- Within 1 month, a send checklist exists and is shared with members of the digital team.
- Within 3 months, a collection of branded responsive templates exists and is built out in our email service provider.
- Within 3 months, a collection of best practices, specific to our list, has emerged and is documented on a regular basis.
- Within 3 months, our send performance metrics are trending in a positive direction due to strategic adjustments.
- Within 6 months, our email program has grown to encompass additional segments and messaging and enough testing has been done to model projections for the coming year.
- On an ongoing basis, our deliverability remains at an exceptional level and our relationship with ISPs is monitored and addressed as needed.
The ultimate aim of the Email Developer is to achieve the outcomes listed above. In order to achieve those outcomes, we imagine that the Email Developer will spend their time in the following ways:
- Code, checklist, QA, and ensure technical perfection of every email sent from Foundation systems
- Coordinate user journeys and landing pages for email campaigns
- In cooperation with the Audience Growth Associate, recognize and maximize opportunities for fundraising and list growth
- Assess relevant metrics and benchmarks to pivot strategies, test, and improve performance
- Build and test a suite of data-driven responsive templates that seamlessly incorporate dynamic content
- Hand code CSS and HTML as needed
- Serve as the Foundation’s primary expert on email deliverability; stay up to date on industry standards and best practices
- Recommend innovative approaches and fresh template design approaches
- Clearly explain problems that arise (for example, with deliverability issues) so people are aware early and often
- Deep conversance with Salesforce Marketing Cloud, beyond just the WYSIWYG; while Salesforce Marketing Cloud experience is greatly preferred, candidates with advanced experience in similar tools (e.g., Mailchimp) will be considered
- Previous experience with AMPscript and relational data extensions in Salesforce Marketing Cloud is preferred
- Strong HTML/CSS skills, particularly in HTML-email, user interface design, and user experience flows.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience developing and coding emails and templates
- Familiarity with CRMs and analytics across a variety of platforms.
- Ability to report out clearly and succinctly on results of an email send
- Strong track record of telling a story using both quantitative and qualitative information
- Understanding of non-profit or similar organization communications and fundraising
- Exceptional project manager – effectively plans long-term projects, investing, managing, and communicating effectively with others to achieve objectives and meet deadlines
- Does not let details slip through the cracks
- Committed to our mission of inspiring, empowering, and connecting people to change their world
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Foundation is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please email us at [email protected] if you require a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
About Obama Foundation
The Obama Foundation was established in January 2014 to carry on the great, unfinished project of renewal and global progress. Officially established as an operating, 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, the Foundation is governed by a volunteer board of directors chaired by civic leader Martin Nesbitt. In the near future, the Foundation will oversee the design and construction of the Obama Presidential Center to be designed by Tod Williams and Billie Tsien Architects | Partners and Interactive Design Architects in Jackson Park on the South Side of Chicago. When it’s complete, the Center will include a library holding the Presidential archives, a museum focusing on the Obama Presidency and issues of our time, and space for ongoing programs and initiatives that advance our mission.