Senior Product Designer
Obama Foundation, Remote; California; Illinois; New York; New Jersey; Maryland; Washington, DC; Virginia
See jobs at Obama Foundation
About the Obama Foundation
At the Obama Foundation, we are guided by a core belief: that ordinary people working together can change history. Our mission is to inspire those people to take action, empower them to change their world for the better, and connect them so they can achieve more together than they can alone.
We were founded by community organizers, so when we seek change, we do it by bringing people together.
That approach begins at home, on the South Side of Chicago, where we are building the Obama Presidential Center. The Center represents a historic opportunity for Chicago: a chance to build a world-class museum and public gathering space that celebrates our nation’s first African American President and First Lady, steps away from where he began his career, where she was raised, and where—together—they made their home.
But that approach extends to all our work, whether it’s holding leadership training sessions in communities throughout the U.S., bringing local leaders together in countries around the world, working to support the global education of girls, or ensuring young men of color have pathways to opportunity.
As President Obama has said, “we cannot solve the challenges of our time unless we solve them together.” So join us.
For more information, please visit www.obama.org.
About the Role
In this role, you will design and research user-centric, data-driven and inspiring user experiences for the Foundation’s growing portfolio of new products aimed at scaling the Foundation’s mission of inspiring, connecting, and empowering people to change their world.
As Senior Product Designer, you will work closely with the larger Technology and Product team and alongside colleagues from around the organization, to craft foundational design processes, kickstart execution on our product development roadmap, and support existing Foundation products.
As a founding member of our growing product and technology organization, you will provide an innovative design perspective, help define and drive the future of the Foundation’s product and design strategy, and contribute to envisioning complex user experience ecosystems -- not just limited to the UX of digital products but also including that of place-based experiences, like those at the future Obama Presidential Center or at the Foundation’s convenings and events.
The Product Designer will report to the Product Management Lead and be a member of our wider Digital team.
The Senior Product Designer will be responsible for achieving the following outcomes within the first year:
- In collaboration with product, engineering and organizational leadership, finalize a product and user experience strategy and vision for the Foundation’s core families of products, along with a plan for evolutionary, iterative updates that actualize the larger vision over time.
- Establish foundational design systems and processes to guide product development
- Advance the tech and product team’s short-term OKRs by leading the design of both current user experiences and a number of high-priority new product areas -- ranging from products for general audiences to tools for niche groups of global changemakers
- Execute UX design, research, and product copywriting for the Foundation as a whole
The ultimate aim of the Senior Product Designer is to achieve the outcomes listed above. In order to achieve those outcomes, we imagine that the Senior Product Designer will spend their time in the following ways:
- Collaborating with the Product Lead to develop a product roadmap focused on transforming ideas, product requirements, research, data, and creative vision into tangible features, products, and services that provide clear, usable, useful and desirable outcomes for the Foundation’s diverse sets of users
- Develop all product design assets and deliverables and ensure that they are timely, thorough, thought-through, intuitive, delightful, and easy to use
- In partnership with Product and Engineering, establish best practices in design thinking, process, and user-centric product development across the organization -- driving the creation of and iteration on new, best-in-class product experiences
- In partnership with product develop and execute upon continuous user research and testing
- Contribute to all phases of product development from documentation to release in an agile, fast moving environment
- Contribute to creative and holistic thinking across diverse product families, platforms, and releases
- Building and maintaining strong relationships and operating rhythms with stakeholders within and beyond the core tech and product team to efficiently implement user experiences that are cohesive, inclusive, and well-informed
- In collaboration with the Product Lead advocating for product design skills across the organization, finding ways to involve non-designers in the design process through design sprints and other creative means
- Ensuring adherence to design best practices, standards, and brand consistency
- Nourishing a collaborative environment by encouraging the sharing of ideas and openness to feedback, learning, and iteration
- 5+ years of experience in user-centered experience and or user interface design
- A demonstrated track record of shipping successful and scalable products as well as creating and implementing consistent and scalable product design frameworks
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and high-velocity UX thinking and execution
- Top-tier ideation, sketching, prototyping, testing, and qualitative and quantitative user research skills
- Ability to turn complex interactions into intuitive user experiences
- Familiarity with agile software development and lean UX processes
- Solid technical understanding of current web and app development technologies -- Specifically experience working across web, iOS, Android and an understanding of HTML/CSS
- Fluency with design, project management, and development tools and CMS systems, e.g., Sketch, InVision, Figma, Asana, Jira, etc.
- Proven ability to build effective partnerships at all levels of the organization and cross functionally; builds trust quickly
- Clear and confident communicator with an affinity for visual storytelling
- Tendency to be creative and solution-oriented when problem solving; thrives in a culture of open feedback and critique
- High degree of comfort working in a scrappy, fast-paced, mission-oriented environment
- Ability to manage and work with individuals across geographic locations and with a variety of backgrounds
- Passion and commitment to inclusive and accessible design and familiarity with designing products that meet digital accessibility standards
- Committed to our mission of inspiring, empowering, and connecting people to change their world
All candidates should be prepared to provide a portfolio/samples of work upon request.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Foundation is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at [email protected] if you require a reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
About Obama Foundation
The Obama Foundation was established in January 2014 to carry on the great, unfinished project of renewal and global progress. Officially established as an operating, 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, the Foundation is governed by a volunteer board of directors chaired by civic leader Martin Nesbitt. In the near future, the Foundation will oversee the design and construction of the Obama Presidential Center to be designed by Tod Williams and Billie Tsien Architects | Partners and Interactive Design Architects in Jackson Park on the South Side of Chicago. When it’s complete, the Center will include a library holding the Presidential archives, a museum focusing on the Obama Presidency and issues of our time, and space for ongoing programs and initiatives that advance our mission.
Want to learn more about Obama Foundation? Visit Obama Foundation's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
Jobs You May Like
Communications, Media & Technology Marketing Senior Manager, West
Accenture, Multiple Locations, USA