OfferUp is on a mission to create the simplest, most trustworthy way to buy and sell locally. The free app for iOS and Android helps sellers quickly post items for sale with just a picture from their smartphones and lets buyers easily browse what's nearby. Now the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., OfferUp brings millions of people together to discover more value right where they are.
At a Glance
- Geekwire App of Year
- $14+ Billion In Transactions in 2016
- Users spend an average of 25 minutes per day on OfferUp (same as Snapchat and Instagram)
- 35+ Million Downloads
- A top shopping app on iTunes and Google Play
Core to our mission is our use of data. Our marketplace yields millions of transactions every month, and we seek to use this data to improve every aspect of our customer experience. We are seeking a superstar Head of Data Science to lead our emerging data science effort. In this role you will work closely with the entire executive team, define our long-term R&D roadmap, lead our fast growing team of data scientists, and partner with product managers and engineers to deliver data-driven insights and product improvements.
The ideal candidate has a broad understanding of the entire landscape of data science and machine learning, has a solid track record of transferring research results into product, is excellent in all forms of communication, will be a magnet for others to join the team, and will have a strategic mindset that helps to shape the direction of the company.
When successful in this role you will be recognized as a world-class data science leader. You will both identify best practices that OfferUp should adopt, and develop best practices that will be adopted by other organizations. This is a role that will require great leadership skills to drive change across the entire organization. Are you up for an exciting, high-impact challenge?
- Define and prioritize data science opportunities for the company
- Hire, mentor, and manage exceptional data scientists
- Identify infrastructure opportunities to increase data science productivity
- Serve as a domain expert in many areas of data science and machine learning
- Act as an internal advisor on all issues related to data
- Contribute to the overall company strategy, especially as it pertains to data
- Make individual technical contributions where possible
- Serve as the company’s public ambassador to the data science community
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field
- World-class experience in at least one area of machine learning
- 10+ years of professional work experience, and 5+ years of R&D management
- Proficiency in prototyping advanced algorithms in appropriate programming languages
- 5+ years experience in transferring research results into product
- Outstanding history of communicating complex ideas
- Strong execution, organizational skills
- Eligible to work in the United States
Nice to Have:
- Experience working in ecommerce or other online marketplaces
- Academic publishing track record
- Deep engineering experience
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Our Story As new fathers, OfferUp founders Nick Huzar and Arean van Veelen suddenly found themselves with more stuff than they wanted and less stuff than they needed. They weren’t alone. Americans spend trillions of dollars each year on new stuff, billions each year on storage units, and every day, they throw tons of their stuff away. In all that buying, storing, and tossing, Nick and Arean saw opportunity. Could a new kind of local marketplace bring people together to get more value out of all that stuff? Could that value exchange start with something as simple as a photo from a smartphone? Inspired to reimagine the model for local, peer-to-peer commerce, Nick and Arean founded OfferUp, a marketplace on a mission to become the simplest, most trustworthy place for people to buy and sell locally.
Want to learn more about OfferUp? Visit OfferUp's website.
Jobs You May Like
Member of the Technical Staff
Palantir Technologies, Palo Alto, CA
Senior Director of Infrastructure Services
Twitch, San Francisco, CA
Summer Intern 2018, Software Quality Engineer (Cloud)
Magic Leap, Inc., Plantation, FL
Site Reliability Operations Analyst
Palantir Technologies, New York, NY
MealPal, New York
VP of Data and BI