Software Development Engineer - Platform, Core Services, Tooling
OfferUp, OfferUp HQ - Bellevue, WA
We Bring People Together to Discover Value
OfferUp is on a mission to create the simplest, most trustworthy way to buy and sell locally. The free app for iOS and Android helps sellers quickly post items for sale with just a picture from their smartphones and lets buyers easily browse what's nearby. Now the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., OfferUp brings millions of people together to discover more value right where they are.
At a Glance
- A top shopping app on iTunes and Google Play
- $14+ Billion In Transactions in 2016
- Geekwire App of Year
- 35+ Million Downloads
OfferUp's Platform, Tooling, and Core Services Teams are looking for experienced engineers who want to build tools and processes that increasing engineering productivity, and handle the performance and scalability of the OfferUp platform. You will design and code systems in a very deliberate and thoughtful manner, as slight changes can impact everything in a major way. You take a performance minded approach to everything you do, and will help OfferUp continue to scale to many more millions of users.
- Build tools and services for other engineers to increase velocity/productivity
- Build and maintain high-performance, scalable systems
- Improve the reliability and efficiency of Offerup's core services
- Develop elegant solutions to complex problems
- Code using Java or Python
- Extensive experience with web infrastructure, distributed systems, performance analysis, and traffic manipulation
- 6+ years professional software development experience
- Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Experience in docker tool-chains
- Strong background with algorithms and data structures
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science
Nice to have:
- Experience with AWS
- Experience designing fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Experience with Lua
- Experience with Cassandra, Redis, Memcached, Postgres, or Django
- Contributions to the open-source community
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally! Come join the team and take the ride of your life!
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Our Story As new fathers, OfferUp founders Nick Huzar and Arean van Veelen suddenly found themselves with more stuff than they wanted and less stuff than they needed. They weren’t alone. Americans spend trillions of dollars each year on new stuff, billions each year on storage units, and every day, they throw tons of their stuff away. In all that buying, storing, and tossing, Nick and Arean saw opportunity. Could a new kind of local marketplace bring people together to get more value out of all that stuff? Could that value exchange start with something as simple as a photo from a smartphone? Inspired to reimagine the model for local, peer-to-peer commerce, Nick and Arean founded OfferUp, a marketplace on a mission to become the simplest, most trustworthy place for people to buy and sell locally.
Want to learn more about OfferUp? Visit OfferUp's website.
Jobs You May Like
Software Engineer, Serving Systems
Pinterest, San Francisco
Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Anti Evil)
Reddit, San Francisco
Site Reliability Engineer - San Francisco, CA
Dropbox, San Francisco, CA
Relic Entertainment, Vancouver, BC
Product Manager - Security Engineering
DiDi Labs, Silicon Valley
Software Engineer - Application Backend
Yelp, San Francisco, CA