Head of Trust & Safety
OfferUp, OfferUp HQ - Bellevue, WA
We Bring People Together to Discover Value
OfferUp is on a mission to create the simplest, most trustworthy way to buy and sell locally. The free app for iOS and Android makes it easy for people to post items for sale with just a picture from their smartphones and find great deals on items nearby. Now the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., OfferUp brings millions of people together to discover more value right where they are.
At a Glance
- A top shopping app on iTunes and Google Play
- $14+ Billion In Transactions in 2016
- Geekwire App of Year
- 35+ Million Downloads
Trust is at the foundation of everything we do at OfferUp and we are looking for a transformational leader to lead, inspire and innovate as we continue to work hard to develop the most trusted local marketplace in the world. In addition to leading a growing operations team, you will play a critical role in partnering with cross-functional team members across CX (customer experience), product, engineering, analytics, legal, PR/communications, IT, internal tools and others.
- Responsible for all online and offline fraud and safety concerns, including but not limited to account security, safety concerns, and user trust.
- Help design, develop, and execute upon a global, best-in-class Trust and Safety strategy that integrates product, analytics, and operational effectiveness to proactively mitigate risk as well as manage the overall safety of our online and offline customer experience when incidents happen.
- Develop policies for our marketplace in collaboration with key stakeholders across the organization to enable trust and safety to be maintained and enhanced.
- Work with product teams to ensure new products are launched with fraud protection on day zero.
- Ensure exceptional day-to-day operation of the global trust and safety teams located primarily in Seattle, as well as partner with a strategic support services team of training, quality, project management, policy, systems and scheduling resources.
- Collaborate with legal and PR/Communications as needed to respond to online/offline safety issues effectively
- Engage and maintain a productive relationship with outsourced providers and effectively source and leverage outsourced resources to manage workload and customer demand.
- Work closely with Customer Experience leaders to ensure consistency and to collaborate on company-wide customer operations initiatives.
Requirements/Desired Experience & Skills
- Minimum 10 years senior management in Trust and Safety, Fraud, Risk Management and/or related role.
- Experience leading teams.
- Proven track record in operations management, with measurable and demonstrated process improvement results.
- Experience working with product/engineering, analytics and IT teams to inform and develop business needs to improve trust across the platform as well as operational effectiveness and response time.
- Industry experience in eCommerce, sharing economy and/or online marketplace.
- Experience working internationally, with a global mindset.
- Strong People Leader with the ability to motivate and inspire large teams.
- Able to build strong cross-functional relationships across multiple teams and time zones.
- Strategic thinker who can go from vision to execution.
- Analytical mindset and ability to work closely with product and engineering teams.
- Flexible/Adaptable and willing to embrace change.
- Willingness to roll up sleeves and work closely with teams.
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally...Come join the team and take the ride of your life!
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Our Story As new fathers, OfferUp founders Nick Huzar and Arean van Veelen suddenly found themselves with more stuff than they wanted and less stuff than they needed. They weren’t alone. Americans spend trillions of dollars each year on new stuff, billions each year on storage units, and every day, they throw tons of their stuff away. In all that buying, storing, and tossing, Nick and Arean saw opportunity. Could a new kind of local marketplace bring people together to get more value out of all that stuff? Could that value exchange start with something as simple as a photo from a smartphone? Inspired to reimagine the model for local, peer-to-peer commerce, Nick and Arean founded OfferUp, a marketplace on a mission to become the simplest, most trustworthy place for people to buy and sell locally.