Senior Data Scientist / Machine Learning
OfferUp, Bellevue, WA
We Bring People Together to Discover Value
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 85M+ Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
OfferUp is looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our team. We seek to delight our users with the safest, simplest and most effective local marketplace app on the planet. Your role as a Data Scientist will be to help OfferUp use the most cutting edge technology to maintain its market lead in customer trust and product enthusiasm. This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking to contribute in a startup environment while managing many of their own data extractions and data transforms.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Build industry leading models in one of the following:
- Image Detection
- Natural Language Processing
- Localized Pricing
- Ad Optimization
- Fraud Detection
- Build data pipelines using:
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience with machine learning or data science
- Expertise around scalable programming languages Java, Spark, Flink, TensorFlow, or other data science pipeline technologies.
- Hands on experience solving real business problems are required
- Hands on experience solving real business problems are required. Ph.D. or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or another STEM-related field is also required
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience working in e-commerce and mobile marketplaces
- Experience integrating code into a live production environment
- Some experience in some the following: entity extraction, semantics in text, image recognition, recommender systems, ranking, LDA, classification
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Our Story As new fathers, OfferUp founders Nick Huzar and Arean van Veelen suddenly found themselves with more stuff than they wanted and less stuff than they needed. They weren’t alone. Americans spend trillions of dollars each year on new stuff, billions each year on storage units, and every day, they throw tons of their stuff away. In all that buying, storing, and tossing, Nick and Arean saw opportunity. Could a new kind of local marketplace bring people together to get more value out of all that stuff? Could that value exchange start with something as simple as a photo from a smartphone? Inspired to reimagine the model for local, peer-to-peer commerce, Nick and Arean founded OfferUp, a marketplace on a mission to become the simplest, most trustworthy place for people to buy and sell locally.