OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and help more people discover value right where they are.
At a Glance
- 85+ Million Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
We are seeking an experienced Staff Software Engineer - Backend to be a founding member of our new Miami, FL office.
At many organizations, your role begins and ends with the code. On our team, we’re different. You own a feature from concept to fruition. Your responsibilities will include everything from writing well architected and thoroughly tested code, to rolling out the feature to public users by analyzing metrics. You also get to take ownership beyond your technical area by working with cross-functional team members.
As a tech lead in our team, you will set the technical strategy for our team, build highly scalable systems to detect and prevent fraud and continuously improve our engineering/operational excellence.
What You’ll Do:
- Be a technical leader within our team and OfferUp
- Possess a deep understanding of the product and business goals which you can translate to tech
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams (clients, design, product and data science) to design and implement new features
- Architect, design, develop, deploy and maintain Java or Python services that serve millions of users in a devops manner
- Identify when to replace and when to rebuild legacy systems
- Drive the reliability, scalability and maintainability of the services as they continue to grow
- Collaborate with OfferUp wide engineering teams to surface common pain points, develop solutions and evangelize best practices
- Support, mentor, and help others engineers in the team
- Participate in a reasonable on-call rotations with the rest of the team
- Drive engineering and operational excellence across team and OfferUp-wide Backend team
What you’ll need:
- 7+ years of professional software engineering experience, of which at least 3 were devoted to web services
- Deep understanding of system design, data structures and algorithms
- Professional experience designing services on top of a cloud infrastructure like AWS, Google cloud, or Microsoft Azure
- 5+ years developing enterprise API’s
- Experience in continuous integration/deployment environment
- Experience in building services oriented architecture.
- Professional experience working with large scale distributed systems
- Professional experience with database systems both relational and NoSQL database
- Strong coding skills in Java, Python, Scala, Golang or any other modern programming language coupled with strong knowledge in object-oriented design and microservices architecture
- Familiarity with running A/B test in production environment and analyzing data to launch a feature
- Familiarity with SQL queries to analyze data
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or a related discipline
- Excellent communication skills both written and spoken (fluency in English required)
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Experience with understanding and refactoring legacy code
- Experience with cloud infrastructure AWS
- Experience writing code in Python or Java
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally...Come do work that matters. join the team and take the ride of your life!
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Our Story As new fathers, OfferUp founders Nick Huzar and Arean van Veelen suddenly found themselves with more stuff than they wanted and less stuff than they needed. They weren’t alone. Americans spend trillions of dollars each year on new stuff, billions each year on storage units, and every day, they throw tons of their stuff away. In all that buying, storing, and tossing, Nick and Arean saw opportunity. Could a new kind of local marketplace bring people together to get more value out of all that stuff? Could that value exchange start with something as simple as a photo from a smartphone? Inspired to reimagine the model for local, peer-to-peer commerce, Nick and Arean founded OfferUp, a marketplace on a mission to become the simplest, most trustworthy place for people to buy and sell locally.