Senior Software Development Engineer - Communications
OfferUp, Bellevue, WA
We Bring People Together to Discover Value
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 85M+ Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
About the role:
OfferUp is looking for an experienced developer to lead efforts for the Communications team. The Communications team builds systems that enable a real-time conversation between Sellers & Buyers. These systems are one of the highest queries per second (QPS) service at OfferUp. The main challenges are: building a platform that can scale with our growing user engagements (millions per day) with optimal latency and creating an OMNI-channel messaging platform to enable OfferUp to communicate with our users.
At many organizations, your role begins and ends with the code. On our team, we’re different. You own a feature from concept to fruition. Your responsibilities will include everything from writing well architected and thoroughly tested code, to rolling out the feature by analyzing metrics. You also get to take ownership beyond your technical area by working with cross-functional team members.
As an experienced developer in our team, you will set the technical strategy for our team, build highly scalable real-time messaging systems and continuously improve our engineering/operational excellence.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Develop a technical strategy for our team
- Develop highly scalable real-time messaging pipelines without compromising on reliability, latency, and monitoring
- Build OMNI-channel messaging platform to enable OfferUp to communicate with its users (Email, Push notifications, Web-hooks)
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams (Marketing, Commerce, Integrity) to design and implement new features
- Drive engineering and operational excellence across Communications team and OfferUp-wide Backend team
- Collaborate with OfferUp wide engineering teams to surface common pain points, develop solutions and evangelize best practices
- Identify when to replace and when to rebuild legacy systems
- Support, mentor, and help other engineers in the team
- Participate in a reasonable on-call rotations with the rest of the team
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience, of which at least 3 were devoted to web services
- 2+ years of experience in real-time messaging systems
- Experience performing data analysis and translating the results into business recommendations
- Experience in working with data-driven applications at scale
- Strong coding skills in Java, Python, Scala, Golang or any other modern programming language coupled with strong knowledge in object-oriented design and microservices architecture
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or a related discipline
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience with load balancing, and handling massive data traffic
- Experience writing code in Python or Java
- Experience in building microservices
- Experience with cloud infrastructure AWS
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Our Story As new fathers, OfferUp founders Nick Huzar and Arean van Veelen suddenly found themselves with more stuff than they wanted and less stuff than they needed. They weren’t alone. Americans spend trillions of dollars each year on new stuff, billions each year on storage units, and every day, they throw tons of their stuff away. In all that buying, storing, and tossing, Nick and Arean saw opportunity. Could a new kind of local marketplace bring people together to get more value out of all that stuff? Could that value exchange start with something as simple as a photo from a smartphone? Inspired to reimagine the model for local, peer-to-peer commerce, Nick and Arean founded OfferUp, a marketplace on a mission to become the simplest, most trustworthy place for people to buy and sell locally.