Staff Software Development Engineer - Ads
OfferUp, Bellevue, WA
We Bring People Together to Discover Value
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 85M+ Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
About the role:
The Advertising Team is looking for a Staff Backend Engineer to join us as we disrupt the local mobile marketplace. As a Staff Backend Engineer on the Advertising team, you will own and execute projects from idea to delivery, lead architecture discussions, do regular code reviews, and mentor others as our team solves new and complex challenges around OfferUps Ad Tech. You’ll be responsible for working with our Product, Client Developers, backend peers and Biz ops experts to come up with new efficient, scalable solutions and iterate on existing ones.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features and/or iterations of existing features
- Works with the team to develop the technical strategy for Ad platform/features
- Develops, tests, releases and documents code using best software engineering practices to ensure timely service delivery and ease of maintenance
- Continuously discovers, evaluates, and implements new technologies/best practices to maximize development efficiency
- Dedicated to optimizing the performance and scalability of the OfferUp infrastructure as the service continues to grow
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automation
- Collaborate if needed with third-party providers, and evaluate/debug/implement 3rd party SDKs
- Provide mentorship to other team members, and create solutions and/or frameworks that make other team members better and faster
- Identify, track and find solutions to software defects identified both internally and externally
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 8+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Demonstrate strong coding skills in any one of the following - Java, Python, C/C++, Golang, Scala, PHP (or equivalent programming language)
- Excellent knowledge of Data Structures and Algorithms
- Experience with building highly scalable web services
- Be comfortable designing services on top of cloud infrastructure like AWS
- Above all, an insatiable desire and ability to learn
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Exceptional self-management skills during the execution of complex problems and tasks
- You desire a fast-moving, continuous flow development environment
- Experienced with Agile development
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related discipline
Helpful, but not required:
- Working knowledge of eCommerce payment systems
- Experience developing Ad Tech
- Github repo with your own code we can view
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Our Story As new fathers, OfferUp founders Nick Huzar and Arean van Veelen suddenly found themselves with more stuff than they wanted and less stuff than they needed. They weren’t alone. Americans spend trillions of dollars each year on new stuff, billions each year on storage units, and every day, they throw tons of their stuff away. In all that buying, storing, and tossing, Nick and Arean saw opportunity. Could a new kind of local marketplace bring people together to get more value out of all that stuff? Could that value exchange start with something as simple as a photo from a smartphone? Inspired to reimagine the model for local, peer-to-peer commerce, Nick and Arean founded OfferUp, a marketplace on a mission to become the simplest, most trustworthy place for people to buy and sell locally.