Senior Quality Engineer
Okta, United Kingdom
Okta is an integrated identity and mobility management service
Okta is an integrated identity and mobility management service. Built from the ground up in the cloud, Okta securely and simply connects people to their applications from any device, anywhere, at any time. Okta integrates with existing directories and identity systems, as well as thousands of on-premises, cloud and mobile applications, and runs on a secure, reliable and extensively audited cloud-based platform
This position works as a Quality Engineer partnered with Technical Operations. It is a key role in our geographically distributed Quality organization which includes but not limited to San Francisco, London and Sydney, and is instrumental in delivering Okta’s peerless uptime (99.99%) and high service reliability. This position will drive testing for various areas within Technical Operations such as site reliability testing and analysis, validation of planned infrastructure changes, manual end to end testing and validation of new infrastructure components and technologies.
We operate as a lean organization as such it’s imperative that we reduce waste by extensive use of automation techniques; continuous adoption of and improvement in agile methodologies and that we are vocal when we feel there are better ways of achieving results.
Please note this is an operations focused role and not a ‘product’ focused one.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Major areas of responsibility include:
- Provide on-call support (non customer facing) for our high availability SaaS platform
- Provide assurance for infrastructure changes going into production by reviewing process and determining impact on production
- Review infrastructure requirements and design relative test plans and test cases
- Develop automation plans and write test code to execute the plan
- Work with engineering management to scope and plan engineering efforts
- Work closely with the team to evangelize optimal quality practices
- Participate in the design and implementation of reliable cloud components
- Enhance and maintain existing test automation and CM frameworks
- Continuously review and optimize test coverage
- Interface with Development, Architects and Technical Operations
- Clearly communicate and document QE plans for scrum teams to review and comment
- Types of testing we carry out include: configuration; component; end-to-end functional; DR; Chaos & Performance
- Strong problem solving, troubleshooting, and analytic skills in a multi-tier SaaS environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Quality Engineer experience preferably in an enterprise SaaS company and/or working closely with technical operations teams
- Technically sound candidates who may be looking to transition into Quality Engineering will also be considered
- On-call experience is a big plus
- Administration of complex custom applications on UNIX/Linux and Enterprise Java Platforms
- Experience in testing, monitoring of distributed, highly available cloud services
- Experience in building test automation framework from scratch
- Experience in at least one OO language and shell scripting
- Experience in CM tools, namely; Ansible or Chef
- Experience with Cloud Security, Network Security and Routing is a plus
- Experience with some of the following technologies and services:
- Linux (RPM or Deb-based distributions)
- Cloud based Infrastructure as a Service (especially AWS)
- SQL & NoSQL Databases
- Log management tools (Splunk/Kibana)
- Monitoring systems (Zabbix, Wavefront, AppDynamics, NewRelic)
- Education and Training:
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related experience
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.
Okta is the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 applications, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access for any user from any device. Thousands of customers, including 20th Century Fox, Adobe, Dish Networks, Experian, Flex, LinkedIn, and News Corp, trust Okta to help them work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work.
Want to learn more about Okta? Visit Okta's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.