Designer, Design Systems
Okta, San Francisco, CA
Okta is an integrated identity and mobility management service
Okta is looking for a Designer to focus on its Design System called Odyssey. An established design system is well defined, organized, maintained, and the foundation for a successful design organization. Working on the design system team and partnering with product designers, and UI engineers, this hands-on role is focused on the tactical work of building out system components, ensuring they meet the needs of the products and sites they’re intended for, and are implementation-ready.
The system is ever-evolving; existing components require updates as new ones are added. For this role, striking a proper balance between form and function is as important as aiming for simplicity and polish. The impact of a system is far-reaching, but the team behind it is lean. The ideal candidate for this role has prior experience working on one or more similar initiatives and brings first-hand insights. S/he will work closely with the design system team to define projects appropriately scoped for our highest priority needs, proactively seek regular design feedback, ask clarifying questions in the face of ambiguity, and stay closely aligned to ambitious deadlines.
Okta’s Design System is guided by four key principles:
Honest. Don’t hide key details from users or sugar-coat product limitations.
Clear. Present complex concepts simply and in plain language.
Inclusive. Universal design, in consideration of a wide variety of devices, audiences, and abilities.
Intentional. Embrace consistency; fork only when it's justified.
- Partner with x-team stakeholders to define, strategize, and execute on system assets
- Build and document patterns and visual layouts
- Maintain a fully-functional UI kit; from high-level concepts to detailed UI components
- Partner with design ops and engineering provide necessary assets and styling attributes
- Incorporate team feedback to achieve necessary consensus and buy-in
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Prior experience working on and/or owning a design system
- Knowledgeable about accessibility best practices
- Proficient in Figma, Sketch, OmniGraffle, Photoshop, or similar tools
- Comfortable distilling complex technical problems into simple elegant solutions
- Great communicator, analytical thinker, comfortable with technical subject matter, sense of humor
- Well-versed in emerging patterns and best practices
- Comfortable working with engineering and designers
- Strong visual design sense with an eye for the details
- Has passion for process and strategy
- Understands layouts, type, color and style guides
- Experienced with prototyping
- Strong portfolio showcasing work
Education and Training
- BS in Human-Computer Interaction or equivalent (e.g. related field or work experience as a designer)
**Please include design samples or link to design portfolio with your application.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 applications, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access for any user from any device. Thousands of customers, including 20th Century Fox, Adobe, Dish Networks, Experian, Flex, LinkedIn, and News Corp, trust Okta to help them work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work.