Director/Sr. Director Product Management, Platform
Okta, San Francisco,CA
Okta is an integrated identity and mobility management service
We are looking for an individual with a great background in architecting and building products in the identity and security space. Candidates should be self starters, energetic, willing to get into the details where necessary, and have the proven ability to lead by influence and expertise. The ideal candidate should have at least 6+ years of experience building modern identity-based solutions with strong SaaS and/or mobile components. The Product Architect owns the domain model for his/her product and works closely with product managers and engineering team members to drive a technology vision & platform for their product while balancing business and technical tradeoffs. You will interact with many other groups to lead and deliver world class products in an exciting fast-paced environment. The selected candidate will challenge assumptions and design solutions first and foremost with Okta’s customers in mind despite the complexity that is often behind the scenes in identity & security.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop the deep understanding required to be able to serve as the subject matter expert for the architectures of:
- Current and future customer use case scenarios across IT customers and customers building their own applications,
- Current and future architectures of potential integration points for Okta
- Industry trends and changes,
- Competitive approaches, and
- Available and future technologies
- Own and evolve product architecture, API specifications, & domain model for one or more areas
- Drive the technical vision, capabilities, and design of the product, transforming product strategy & business priorities to a short term/long-term technology roadmap
- Identify and champion key technology investments needed to build a sustainable & long-term competitive platform for existing or new product features and functions
- Leverage knowledge to evangelize and place strategic bets in the product investments
- Partner with other members of the Product Management team to translate key product scenarios and use cases to detailed functional specifications that can be delivered by an engineering feature team
- Collaborate with Product Management, development managers, other product architects, and engineering team leads to evolve the product architecture, resolve key dependencies, mitigate risk, and ensure features are successfully brought through the feature lifecycle with sufficient quality while addressing business requirements and care for Okta product design values (e.g., simplicity and usability)
- Own the documentation of the product architecture for both internal and external consumption
- Build Okta’s knowledge and skills for the product and domain & participate in industry events and conferences as a thought leader and champion for Okta
- Support the sales and field teams with knowledge and resources on identity best-practices and attend calls with current and prospective customers
- Participate in working groups for key industry standards in alignment with Okta’s product, technology, and business strategy
- 6+ years of experience in product groups creating new products.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal, with technical and non-technical cross-functional teams.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Business, Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or relevant industry experience required.
- 10+ years of experience in identity or related industry.
- Display a high degree of willingness and ability to understand a new business domain, a new product, the product's business and technical underpinnings.
- Proficiencies should include demonstrated ability to effectively engage with Engineering, Product Marketing, Sales, Professional Services and Support.
- Proven experience in building and driving execution on large complex projects and ability to show assertiveness and influence in pushing through thoughts and opinions backed by facts and evidence.
- Strong customer-first approach with ability to balance business needs versus customer requirements to deliver an optimized experience.
- Product design experience for cloud-scale enterprise software deployed globally and run 24x7 as a service.
- An intense interest in innovation and new solutions within the identity industry and ability to comprehend their likely impact.
Meet the manager:
Karl McGuinness is Okta’s Chief Product Architect (https://www.linkedin.com/in/karlmcguinness/)
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is the leading independent provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 applications, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access for any user from any device. Thousands of customers, including 20th Century Fox, Adobe, Dish Networks, Experian, Flex, LinkedIn, and News Corp, trust Okta to help them work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work.