Associate, Digital Identity
Pierre Omidyar, the founder of eBay, and his wife, Pam, established Omidyar Network (ON) based on the belief that every person has the potential to make a difference. Since 2004, we have worked with our partners to create opportunities for people to tap that potential, enabling them to improve their lives and make powerful contributions to their communities. As a philanthropic investment firm, we make both equity investments and nonprofit grants, identifying likeminded organizations that we support, help scale, and collaborate with to help realize their full potential. In 2016, we made over $120 million in investments and grants to organizations around the world.
Digital Identity is ON’s newest area of work. With UN Sustainable Development Goals focusing on ‘legal identity for all’, we expect that multiple countries around the world will begin efforts on creating state-issued ID systems. Some countries, like India, have built out foundational ID systems and an accompanying “public technology stack” that will become the basis for increased private sector innovation in the coming years. Simultaneously, new technologies and data use protocols, combined with the growing need for privacy, personal data protection and informed consent, are all beginning to encourage several start-ups to build innovative companies that can begin to give consumers more control over their online identities and personally identifiable information.
In this new focus area, ON expects to play a range of roles across the public and private sectors. We expect to work closely with other key stakeholders and play a role in developing a global governance architecture, trust frameworks, and standards for state-issued Digital IDs. ON will also make early stage commercial investments in companies that use the power of Digital ID and enhanced user control of data to unlock new opportunities that can have massive social impact – whether in terms of access to services like banking (e.g., eKYC) or new ways to interact and build trust online (e.g., sharing economy).
The position is to be based in ON’s Bengaluru office.
We are seeking an Investment Professional to join our India investment team, primarily focused on our Digital Identity work in the region. The candidate will be based in ON’s Bengaluru office, and will report to the India head of Digital Identity. Priorities for the candidate include: 1) helping build a healthy pipeline and portfolio of digital identity organizations (for-profit and non-profit); 2) supporting grants and equity investments, and working with portfolio organizations to grow and help them have impact; 3) supporting work on policy issues that can strengthen digital identity systems in the country. The right candidate will be comfortable in working with both non-profit organizations, as well as for-profit companies whose work is aligned with ON’s mission.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Helping build a portfolio of organizations (for-profit and non-profit)
- Scoping out high impact digital identity opportunities
- Supporting the review and analysis of investment proposals, business plans, and organization budgets; prioritizing opportunities, conducting necessary diligence on prospects
- Supporting deal execution by taking shortlisted opportunities through a well-defined approval and closing process, including definitive documentation, legal and financial due diligence (as applicable)
- Supporting portfolio organisations
- Working closely with ON’s investees (for-profit and non-profit) on strategic aspects to help them scale successfully, achieve their financial targets and impact potential, including by engaging with the Board, co-investors, etc.
- Monitoring the performance of the investees (for-profit and non-profit) periodically
- Engaging with a broader external audience
- Identifying key trends in the policy space that could help improve the digital identity systems in the country
- Building relationships with other investors and foundations to identify potential areas of collaboration and co-investment/ grant co-funding
- Working with the global digital identity team
- Contributing to ON’s knowledge management efforts by sharing key learnings and providing feedback on similar themes/ opportunities across ON’s target countries/ regions
- Collaborate internally to advance ON strategy and mission
- Represent ON in a manner that is consistent with our mission
- Perform other responsibilities, as necessary
Success in this role requires analytical ability, creativity, strategic insights, business/ investment acumen.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Deep passion to make a difference in the digital identity space, good understanding of impact of digital identity, and familiarity with key technology-led interventions that are making a positive impact
- 4-6+ years of work experience; preference for those in consulting, direct investing roles (e.g. in a leading private equity or venture capital firm, impact investment firm, foundations), project management roles for reputed institutions or program management role in reputed non-profit institutions
- Prior experience in relevant fields of digital identity, privacy, technology, governance is preferred
- Ability to evaluate proposed opportunities from multiple perspectives (strategic fit, expected impact, market opportunity, operational capability, business model, financial performance, valuation, etc.); appreciation of analytical rigor and clarity
- Strong strategic mind set and proven ability to innovate, collaborate and translate strategy into action
- Good communication skills – excellent writing and presentation skills; ability to communicate succinctly and clearly
- Good interpersonal skills – ability to work collaboratively with colleagues around the world
- Sound knowledge of investment execution (sourcing, analyzing, teeing up for decision-making, negotiating, documenting, closing, etc.)
- Ability to travel periodically for project work
- Demonstrated experience handling multiple assignments simultaneously
- Flexibility and initiative to work both independently and as part of a global team
- MBA or equivalent post-graduate degree preferred
For more information please contact [email protected]
About Omidyar Network
WHO WE ARE At Omidyar Network, we start from a fundamental belief: People are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We believe if we invest in people, through opportunity, they will create positive returns for themselves, their families, and the world at large. We also believe that businesses can be a powerful force for good. Pierre Omidyar experienced this firsthand as the founder of eBay. Just as eBay created the opportunity for millions of people to start their own businesses, we believe market forces can be a potent driver for positive social change. That’s why we invest in both for-profit businesses and nonprofit organizations, whose complementary roles can advance entire sectors. Starting from the premise that people are basically good, Pierre created a platform that gave everyone equal access to information, opportunity, and the tools to pursue their goals. Omidyar Network invests in entrepreneurs who share our commitment to advancing social good at the pace and scale the world needs today. We are focused on five key areas we believe are building blocks for prosperous, stable, and open societies: Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, and Property Rights. We take calculated risks in the earliest stages of innovation, helping to transform promising ideas into successful ventures. As an active impact investor, we offer more than just financial support. We provide vital human capital capabilities, from serving on boards to consulting on strategy, coaching executives to recruiting new talent. We connect promising investees to entrepreneurial visionaries with business know-how. We also leverage the tremendous capacity of Web and mobile technologies to go beyond incremental improvement and make a significant, widespread impact. Understanding the scale and importance of this work, we don’t undertake the challenge alone. The most powerful force for change lies in our connection with others: business, government, nonprofits, and individual partners. Together, we can use our resources to transform scarcity into abundance and put enduring opportunity within reach of more people worldwide.
Want to learn more about Omidyar Network? Visit Omidyar Network's website.
Jobs You May Like
Global Mobility Lead
Flexport, San Francisco, CA
Carrier Management Associate
Flexport, San Francisco, CA
Okta, San Francisco, CA
Omidyar Network, Redwood City, CA
Senior Content Accountant
Netflix, Los Angeles, California
Payments - General Applications KSA
noon.com, Riyadh, KSA