Director, Strategic Communications - Reimagining Capitalism
Omidyar Network, Washington D.C.
A WORLD OF POSITIVE RETURNS
About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by philanthropists Pam and Pierre Omidyar, the founder of eBay, the organization has committed more than $1 billion to innovative for-profit companies and non-profit organizations to catalyze economic and social change. To learn more, visit www.omidyar.com, and follow on Twitter @omidyarnetwork.
About the Strategic Communications Team:
We are a dynamic group of professionals passionate about using communications and marketing to advance our strategic goals. We use advocacy, storytelling, narrative change, thought leadership and other creative channels to increase our impact and build the change we want to see in the world. We’re always on the lookout for new tools, innovative ideas, and dedicated thinkers to add to our team!
As Director, Strategic Communications, you will draw on your communications knowledge and experience to promote ON’s mission, approach, and investment strategies. Working with key partners within our Reimagining Capitalism team, you'll craft and implement communication strategies that further our department and organizational objectives. You will develop thoughtful and well-connected communication strategies to elevate the work we are doing across diverse topics, including Worker Power, New Economic Paradigm, Corporations and Capital Markets, and Grassroots Infrastructure.
How You’ll Contribute to our Impact:
- Develop a comprehensive communication plan that advances Reimagining Capitalism’s goals and objectives.
- Drive understanding and awareness of our Reimagining Capitalism work through messaging that is universally understandable across diverse constituencies, including: foundations, nonprofits, policymakers, think tanks, and staff. Tailor messaging by constituency to advance ON’s points of view, build differentiation among ON and its peers, and drive individuals and organizations to action.
- Lead communications strategies across a variety of platforms, including: print, electronic, and digital; social media; owned media such as websites, collateral, and employee communications; sponsorships and speaking opportunities; and our own events and convenings.
- Drive alignment between the organization’s words and actions, working with senior leadership to ensure our internal approach and external activities are strengthening and extending the Omidyar Network brand and its initiatives.
- Raise the profile of members of ON’s Reimagining Capitalism team with target audiences.
- Collaborate with investees and grantees to advance their causes within the broader context of our work and sector-wide goals.
- Strengthen internal systems and create new approaches to increase collaboration and information sharing across the organization.
- Empower staff with the necessary materials, resources and training to successfully communicate our message externally.
What You'll Bring to the Team:
- 15 years strategic communications experience with leadership of multi-discipline communications functions including strategy, messaging, public relations, brand image management, and public and/or government affairs, ideally in nonprofit and agency environments.
- Outstanding writing and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to seed and move narratives.
- Strong understanding of economic issues (and an ability to translate them into plain speak).
- Proven ability to quickly establish trust and credibility, forge and maintain close relationships, and provide strategic counsel across diverse constituents.
- Innovative and creative thinking with success using traditional and new media to advance communications objectives.
- Understanding of public and private sectors, particularly within a political and policy context.
- Commitment to ON’s core values, mission, and our strategic imperatives
- A history of community service or philanthropy, who understands and values the importance of social change work.
Please include a resume and, in lieu of a cover letter, write a brief strategy (no more than two pages, including objectives, target audience, topline messaging and tactics) that outlines how you would seed a narrative about a new economic paradigm to replace neoliberalism. Please upload as an attachment below under 'Writing Prompt.'
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
About Omidyar Network
WHO WE ARE At Omidyar Network, we start from a fundamental belief: People are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We believe if we invest in people, through opportunity, they will create positive returns for themselves, their families, and the world at large. We also believe that businesses can be a powerful force for good. Pierre Omidyar experienced this firsthand as the founder of eBay. Just as eBay created the opportunity for millions of people to start their own businesses, we believe market forces can be a potent driver for positive social change. That’s why we invest in both for-profit businesses and nonprofit organizations, whose complementary roles can advance entire sectors. Starting from the premise that people are basically good, Pierre created a platform that gave everyone equal access to information, opportunity, and the tools to pursue their goals. Omidyar Network invests in entrepreneurs who share our commitment to advancing social good at the pace and scale the world needs today. We are focused on five key areas we believe are building blocks for prosperous, stable, and open societies: Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, and Property Rights. We take calculated risks in the earliest stages of innovation, helping to transform promising ideas into successful ventures. As an active impact investor, we offer more than just financial support. We provide vital human capital capabilities, from serving on boards to consulting on strategy, coaching executives to recruiting new talent. We connect promising investees to entrepreneurial visionaries with business know-how. We also leverage the tremendous capacity of Web and mobile technologies to go beyond incremental improvement and make a significant, widespread impact. Understanding the scale and importance of this work, we don’t undertake the challenge alone. The most powerful force for change lies in our connection with others: business, government, nonprofits, and individual partners. Together, we can use our resources to transform scarcity into abundance and put enduring opportunity within reach of more people worldwide.