Learning & Impact Extern (through December 31, 2020)
Omidyar Network, Redwood City, CA
A WORLD OF POSITIVE RETURNS
About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by philanthropists Pam and Pierre Omidyar, the founder of eBay, the organization has committed more than $1 billion to innovative for-profit companies and non-profit organizations to catalyze economic and social change. To learn more, visit www.omidyar.com, and follow on Twitter @omidyarnetwork.
About the Learning and Impact Team:
The Learning and Impact team focuses on establishing the key processes (strategy, impact frameworks, measurement, evaluation, systematic reflection etc.) as well as nurturing the right culture (openness, trust, curiosity, experimentation. etc.) needed to foster a vibrant learning organization committed to social impact. Learning and Impact sits within the Strategy team, works closely with Futures and Explorations, and collaborates with teams across the organization.
ON is seeking a hardworking and curious individual, who can contribute to the Learning & Impact team's endeavors. The Learning and Impact Extern role is a full-time, fixed-term position, running through the end of December 2020. It can be based in Redwood City, CA or our office in San Francisco, CA. This role is ideal for someone seeking an opportunity to innovate with new ways of approaching monitoring, evaluation and learning with a small close-knit team, while contributing both their lived and technical experience to the work at hand.
Responsibilities may include assisting us with the following:
Learning and Impact Systems & Processes:
- Working closely with the Director of Learning and Impact to establish and rollout the firm-level learning and impact framework. This includes crafting and implementing processes and supporting knowledge management systems
- Planning and implementing a system for regular reflection and documentation of insights and evidence
- Developing resources, tools and trainings to guide ON programs teams and grantee partners in measuring and reporting on impact
- Developing systems to solicit feedback from grantee partners to help guide iterations on program strategy and ways of working
- Building and executing staff learning conversations aimed at shedding light on priority learning questions, including documentation of key insights and hypotheses
Research and Evaluation Activities:
- Identifying and establishing program team partnerships with evaluations and/or assessment consultants to ground truth assumptions underpinning programmatic strategies
- Supporting the project management of consultants, academics, consumer survey research firms, etc.
- Identifying potential data sources for indicators of progress towards impact and disconfirming evidence
- Conducting basic analysis of qualitative and quantitative data as in input to strategy and learning conversations
- Designing a system for storing and sharing key insights
Strategy & Thought Partnership:
- Shaping a forward-looking agenda and strategy for the learning and impact work of the Strategy function, including the intersection of systems and complexity, influence, explorations and future sensing and equitable evaluation.
What you'll bring to the team:
- A deep passion for Omidyar Network’s approach to social change, and preferably some professional exposure to our broadly defined focus areas (Reimaging Capitalism, Pluralism, Beneficial Technology)
- A minimum of 2-5 years of relevant work experience that includes the following skills and mindsets:
- Deep curiosity for understanding systemic problems and how social change happens
- Openness to considering alternative viewpoints and pathways to change
- Ability to switch between strategic and practical thinking, with top-class project management skills
- Research, evaluation and analysis skills, with flexibility innovating on practices to be fit-for-purpose
- Experience building accessible, user friendly resources, tools, and materials
- High tolerance for ambiguity, experience working and living in an environment of change
- Introspection, empathy, willingness to be candid
- Passion for incorporating a diverse set of perspectives and voices in our work
- Clear written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in various formats (e.g. PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Prezi)
- Experience in organizations (nonprofit or for-profit) providing direct services, or in community organizing, and/or within an emerging economy context preferred
- Practice with systems and complexity, emergent learning/strategy, and/or adaptive management
- Strong academic credentials
- Authorization to work in US
Please include a resume and, in lieu of a cover letter, answer the following prompts (on no more than 500 words).
- What is the toughest lesson you ever learned? What happened, what did you do?
- Share a hypothesis you have about what it might take to address a problem in one of our impact areas (Reimagining Capitalism, Beneficial Technology, Pluralism). What assumptions underpin this hypotheses? Assuming you could test it, how would you know if your hypothesis was correct?
Upload your response where our online application says "Essay Question."
At Omidyar Network, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive returns on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Omidyar Network is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
About Omidyar Network
WHO WE ARE At Omidyar Network, we start from a fundamental belief: People are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We believe if we invest in people, through opportunity, they will create positive returns for themselves, their families, and the world at large. We also believe that businesses can be a powerful force for good. Pierre Omidyar experienced this firsthand as the founder of eBay. Just as eBay created the opportunity for millions of people to start their own businesses, we believe market forces can be a potent driver for positive social change. That’s why we invest in both for-profit businesses and nonprofit organizations, whose complementary roles can advance entire sectors. Starting from the premise that people are basically good, Pierre created a platform that gave everyone equal access to information, opportunity, and the tools to pursue their goals. Omidyar Network invests in entrepreneurs who share our commitment to advancing social good at the pace and scale the world needs today. We are focused on five key areas we believe are building blocks for prosperous, stable, and open societies: Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, and Property Rights. We take calculated risks in the earliest stages of innovation, helping to transform promising ideas into successful ventures. As an active impact investor, we offer more than just financial support. We provide vital human capital capabilities, from serving on boards to consulting on strategy, coaching executives to recruiting new talent. We connect promising investees to entrepreneurial visionaries with business know-how. We also leverage the tremendous capacity of Web and mobile technologies to go beyond incremental improvement and make a significant, widespread impact. Understanding the scale and importance of this work, we don’t undertake the challenge alone. The most powerful force for change lies in our connection with others: business, government, nonprofits, and individual partners. Together, we can use our resources to transform scarcity into abundance and put enduring opportunity within reach of more people worldwide.