Director/Entrepreneur in Residence Energy Access Team
Omidyar Network, Redwood City, CA
A WORLD OF POSITIVE RETURNS
About Omidyar Network:
Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. Established in 2004 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife Pam, the organization invests in and helps scale innovative organizations to catalyze economic and social change.
Omidyar Network has committed more than $1 billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations that foster economic advancement and encourage individual participation across multiple initiatives, including Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, and Property Rights.
About the Energy Access Team:
Energy Access is one of ON’s newest areas of focused work. Over 2 billion people worldwide lack access to reliable energy, and 60% of them have no electricity at all. We believe dependable access to electricity, for those who are totally disconnected or faced with unreliable power, enables people to achieve a higher quality of life and is a fundamental building block to economic empowerment. At ON we are focused on identifying business models and technology driven solutions addressing the issues of access, reliability, and affordability, which are necessary to achieve universal access to energy. In this new focus area, ON expects to play a range of roles, including investing in entrepreneurs and innovations, as well as market-changing policy/research interventions.
The Director/EIR will be a seasoned investor playing a key role in testing the early investment hypothesis, crafting an investment strategy, and evaluating investment opportunities. S/he will be responsible for guiding investment priorities, deepening pipeline opportunities, and thinking creatively about the key areas of intervention for ON capital. In addition to being responsible for sourcing and completing new investment opportunities, s/he will work with investees to help them achieve critical business and impact milestones. Ideal candidates will provide technical expertise in energy and in investing. They will also bring a keen operational perspective to the ON Energy Access team. Either full-time or contractor role is an option and the location is flexible.
- Focus on execution & ongoing refinement of the investment strategy
- Build and develop pipeline of emerging market investments o Source new opportunities
- Deal structuring and execution
- Management of portfolio companies
- Constructing balanced investment portfolio
- Learning/capturing feedback
- Identify potential areas and approaches for influence beyond direct investments
- Help build the team’s thought leadership, network, and brand in the energy access ecosystem including identifying technologies and markets ripe for innovation and disruption
- Represent ON engagement at multi-stakeholder initiatives and sector convenings
- Draft case studies, blog posts, and articles on topics related to energy access
- Oversee agenda for continuous learning
- Guide annual progress reporting to ON partnership and board of directors
- Take up other responsibilities as necessary
- 10+ years of experience, including 5+ years focus on energy
- Deep passion for ensuring universal access to energy
- Experience sourcing, evaluating and structuring investable opportunities in the energy or cleantech sector
- Demonstrates deep domain knowledge, and clear understanding of technical and business model challenges present in the emerging market energy sector
- Experience representing sector and institutional interests in international settings (e.g. involvement in multi-stakeholder initiatives or steering committees)
- Strong relationships with leaders and experts in the fields of emerging markets energy
- Excellent and clear written and oral communication skills
- Strong strategic mindset and proven ability to innovate, collaborate and translate strategy into action
- Success in developing and maintaining institutional, political, and personal relationships
- Ability to travel internationally as necessary
- High level of comfort with ambiguity and working in a dynamic, rapidly evolving organization
Omidyar Network firmly believes that diversity and inclusion makes us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
About Omidyar Network
WHO WE ARE At Omidyar Network, we start from a fundamental belief: People are inherently capable, but they often lack opportunity. We believe if we invest in people, through opportunity, they will create positive returns for themselves, their families, and the world at large. We also believe that businesses can be a powerful force for good. Pierre Omidyar experienced this firsthand as the founder of eBay. Just as eBay created the opportunity for millions of people to start their own businesses, we believe market forces can be a potent driver for positive social change. That’s why we invest in both for-profit businesses and nonprofit organizations, whose complementary roles can advance entire sectors. Starting from the premise that people are basically good, Pierre created a platform that gave everyone equal access to information, opportunity, and the tools to pursue their goals. Omidyar Network invests in entrepreneurs who share our commitment to advancing social good at the pace and scale the world needs today. We are focused on five key areas we believe are building blocks for prosperous, stable, and open societies: Education, Emerging Tech, Financial Inclusion, Governance & Citizen Engagement, and Property Rights. We take calculated risks in the earliest stages of innovation, helping to transform promising ideas into successful ventures. As an active impact investor, we offer more than just financial support. We provide vital human capital capabilities, from serving on boards to consulting on strategy, coaching executives to recruiting new talent. We connect promising investees to entrepreneurial visionaries with business know-how. We also leverage the tremendous capacity of Web and mobile technologies to go beyond incremental improvement and make a significant, widespread impact. Understanding the scale and importance of this work, we don’t undertake the challenge alone. The most powerful force for change lies in our connection with others: business, government, nonprofits, and individual partners. Together, we can use our resources to transform scarcity into abundance and put enduring opportunity within reach of more people worldwide.
Want to learn more about Omidyar Network? Visit Omidyar Network's website.
Jobs You May Like
Expert Enterprise Risk Management and Liquidity Risk Control
Kreditech, Hamburg Office
Senior Internal Auditor
Netflix, Los Angeles, California
OpenX, OpenX - Pasadena
Sales Account Executive
Thumbtack, Salt Lake City
Supply Chain Director
Exabeam, San Mateo, CA
Kıdemli İdari İşler Uzmanı
Trendyol, Istanbul / Maslak