Senior Manager of Portfolio Optimization - Small Business Lending
OnDeck, Arlington, Virginia
Helping small businesses reach their goals? We're on it.
At OnDeck, we improve the world’s economic landscape by changing the way small businesses access capital. We do it in an environment where we celebrate collaboration, but aren’t afraid of healthy competition; where we’re serious about our work but don’t take ourselves too seriously; and where we are small enough to be nimble but strong enough to make a big impact.
The Senior Manager of Portfolio Optimization is responsible for the financial performance of OnDeck’s loan portfolio. Responsibilities span across all portfolio impacts including credit, pricing, segmentation, underwriting policy and performance, macroeconomic changes, portfolio monitoring, and collections. This person will lead a team to develop and ensure adherence to OnDeck’s Statement of Risk Appetite consistent with OnDeck’s product and operational goals and capabilities. The Portfolio Optimization team will influence OnDeck’s product value chain by providing insight to key constituents using portfolio diagnostic and predictive analytics. The team will create and maintain an optimized picture of past, current, and forecast OnDeck portfolio position across key metrics to help ensure OnDeck financial attainment of strategic goals.
As the Senior Manager of Portfolio Optimization at OnDeck, you will:
- Develop a portfolio segmentation strategy considering, among others, macroeconomic environment, industry and micro-industry concentrations, product, lifetime value, usage, risk appetite, geography, seasoning, term, credit performance, etc.
- Influence, monitor, and assess impacts to OnDeck’s portfolio as a result of pricing, product, acquisition strategy, underwriting policy, fraud detection, and portfolio monitoring and collections.
- Create predictive early detection credit deterioration capabilities using internal and external performance data.
- Investigate, create, implement and validate various risk and financial forecasts using complex data including cohort and time series analysis of loan balances, revenue performance, net income performance, portfolio dynamics, etc. and ensure an enterprise wide consistency in estimations.
- Interface with Acquisition, Pricing, Product, Marketing, Finance, and Operations teams to help build relationships, set goals and track operations performance, providing an actionable feedback loop as it relates to portfolio performance across key OnDeck metrics.
- Ensure sound credit control by taking a pro-active approach to risk management within the risk guidelines of OnDeck.
- Demonstrate governance, control and risk management behaviors in alignment with OnDeck policies and practices. Document all new processes per Enterprise policy
- Assist with developing and enhancing credit structuring/packaging and risk assessment capabilities to identify and maintain good business opportunities with new and existing clients.
- Perform detailed analysis and interpret information to make recommendations to Senior Management on critical strategies including non-standard and adhoc requests as determined by management.
- Ensure the timely and effective communication of forecasting results & variance drivers; anticipating potential needs in an effort to establish and maintain good working relationships with key business stakeholders.
Necessary qualifications for success:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required
- Graduate Degree preferred (i.e. MBA or MS in Finance, Statistics or Econometrics) or CFA coupled with progressive work experience in addition to experience below and strong technical, analytic and statistical skills
- 5-10 Years of related experience in Risk and/or Finance and/or Operations areas, specific experience in interfacing with external auditing functions regarding portfolio performance
- Proficient PC skills including a strong financial modeling competency in MS Excel, PowerPoint presentation skills, and a variety of PC-based analytical and reporting software packages.
- Experience with the use of Relational Databases and the process of Extract Transform Load (ETL) using common languages such as SQL, Python or R
- Working knowledge of R
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills are required to interpret data and draw conclusions.
- Experience in data modeling and risk management either from a business administration, statistical, mathematical, scientific or financial background.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experienced in developing and presenting recommendations to Senior Management
At OnDeck, we make small business a big deal. We care intensely about each other, our company and the customers we serve, and are committed to making every day count.
As the largest online small business lender in the U.S. serving more than 700 different industries, we have been trusted by over 50,000 small businesses by providing them with a term loan or line of credit to help them build a growing and thriving enterprise. Since 2007, we’ve issued over $7 billion in capital.
Come be a part of a company that’s changing the game for small business financing.
Why Choose Us
We’re creating opportunities for small businesses and team members to grow and succeed. We do it in an environment where we celebrate collaboration and aren’t afraid of healthy competition; where we’re serious about our work and don’t take ourselves too seriously; and where we are small enough to be nimble and strong enough to make a big impact.
What we offer you:
- Medical, dental, vision, and life benefits from day one.
- Paid/flexible sick-leave, vacations, and holidays so you can take off the time that you need when you need.
- Up to four months paid parental leave for all new parents. Adoption assistance with reimbursement of up to $5K. We want you to have time to bond with your new bundle of joy.
- We’ll match your 401(k) contributions and offer a discount through our Employee Stock Purchase Plan. All to complement your personal financial strategy.
- We want to help advance your career. Take classes relevant to your job and the first $5K is on us.
- Enjoy our annual company summer party, holiday party and department quarterly outings.
- Our partnership with SoFi gives you access to student loan refinancing, personal loans and even mortgages.
- We work hard, we play hard. Build or join an OnDeck intramural club, group, and/or sports team and be part of our OnDeck Community.
- Fully stocked kitchens with free snacks & drinks.
We also offer…
401K Match. Tuition Reimbursement. Paid Parental Leave. Company Outings. Hackathons. Company Sponsored Sports Teams/Clubs. Office Learning & Development Training.
Awards we've received:
- WorldatWork, 2017 Seal of Distinction
- Fortune 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity, 2016
- Fortune 50 Best Small and Medium Companies to Work For, 2016
- Fortune 30 Best Workplaces in Finance and Insurance, 2016
- Built in Colorado, Top 100 Digital Companies in Colorado, 2015, 2016
- Crain’s New York Business Fast 50, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Fortune.com and Great Place to Work 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials, 2015 Fortune/Great Place To Work Great Rated! People’s Picks: 20 Great Workplaces in Financial Services, 2015
- Crain’s New York Best Places to Work, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Colorado SHRM Best Companies to Work For in Colorado, 2015
- Forbes’ America’s Most Promising Companies, 2013, 2014
- Selling Power Magazine Best Company to Sell For, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Inc. 500|5000, 2013, 2014
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, OnDeck provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OnDeck complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OnDeck expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OnDeck’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**
Why We Do What We Do OnDeck launched in 2007 to solve a major issue facing small businesses: efficient access to capital. Our passion for Main Street and the cutting-edge technology we use to evaluate businesses based on their actual performance, not solely business owners’ personal credit scores, make it possible for us to responsibly expand access to credit. This allows businesses to spend their time where it provides the most benefit—on their customers and on growing, not looking for a small business loan. We understand that financing a small business can be a challenge that requires more time than most small business owners have in a day. Business operations, accounts receivable, accounting, and marketing are all an important part of running a small business—and financing shouldn’t slow down your focus on these issues; it should instead help a business grow. OnDeck offers financing options like short and longer-term loans and lines of credit, in order to grow your business. Flexible terms and rates based on your business’ performance, and not solely personal credit history, may make an OnDeck loan an attractive option when compared to a traditional bank loan. We offer a quick response to loan applications by qualifying and evaluating business performance based upon a variety of important performance metrics. OnDeck is the largest online small business lender in the U.S. Since 2007, we’ve issued over $7 billion in loans for many business needs including inventory purchase, equipment acquisition, hiring, and general corporate purposes. Serving more than 700 industries throughout the country, OnDeck has been trusted by over 50,000 small businesses by providing them with a term loan or line of credit to help them build a growing and thriving enterprise.