OpenAI has a number of open roles for software engineers. These roles do not require machine learning background, though you should be interested in the field. Example teams include:
* Robotics team: build the robotics platform we use for machine learning. Software engineering tasks range from building the infrastructure we use for our large-scale cloud model training, to building real-time gRPC services for interacting with the robot hardware, to writing performance regression suites running on tens of thousands of CPUs.
* Safety team: design and create the tools to enable experiments where humans teach and interact with AI systems during training. Work ranges from frontend work (building websites and interfaces for human interaction with AI systems) that enables experiments with human feedback and AI safety via debate, to connecting these interfaces to large-scale ML training, to collecting the data to power larger language models.
We look for a track record of the following:
* Experience, designing, implementing, and running production services
* Having built the wrong system enough times to avoid the common pitfalls, whether building something personally or advising others
* Willingness to debug problems across the stack, such as networking issues, performance problems, or memory leaks
You might be a good fit if you:
* Know your way around a Unix shell
* Are self-directed and enjoy figuring out the most important problem to work on
* Own problems end-to-end, and are willing to pick up whatever knowledge you're missing to get the job done
* Are detail oriented, and like to get the system working but know when to cut corners versus get it exactly right
In this role, you will work on a team with machine learning experts towards a common goal.
We’re building safe Artificial General Intelligence (AGI), and ensuring it leads to a good outcome for humans. We believe that unreasonably great results are best delivered by a highly creative group working in concert.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
Unlimited time off (we encourage 4+ weeks per year)
Flexible work hours
Lunch and dinner each day
OpenAI is a non-profit AI research company, discovering and enacting the path to safe
artificial general intelligence.
OpenAI's mission is to build safe AGI, and ensure AGI's benefits are as widely and evenly distributed as possible. We expect AI technologies to be hugely impactful in the short term, but their impact will be outstripped by that of the first AGIs.
We're a non-profit research company. Our full-time staff of 60 researchers and engineers is dedicated to working towards our mission regardless of the opportunities for selfish gain which arise along the way.
We focus on long-term research, working on problems that require us to make fundamental advances in AI capabilities. By being at the forefront of the field, we can influence the conditions under which AGI is created. As Alan Kay said, "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
We publish at top machine learning conferences, open-source software tools for accelerating AI research, and release blog posts to communicate our research. We will not keep information private for private benefit, but in the long term, we expect to create formal processes for keeping technologies private when there are safety concerns.