Hi, we’re Oscar.
We are changing how health insurance works. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
We brought together leaders from top technology, service, and healthcare companies to work side-by-side to disrupt health insurance. The result? Better people, better ideas, and better healthcare.
About the Role:
At Oscar, we are working hard to provide the kind of health insurance we would want for ourselves. A big part of this work is ensuring that our members can access the care they need quickly and easily.
This means that we get to be creative and to build an excellent insurance operation from the ground up. We are continuing to expand to new cities across the country, and a key component of this expansion is building and maintaining a best in class Network, including strong contractual relationships with providers across the country. In this full-time position, you will help land these provider contracts for Oscar nationally. You will coordinate with our Contracting team leadership and internal stakeholders to understand Oscar’s operational, legal, and member experience standards, develop the language and rate structures for our provider deals, close these contracts, and function as the point of contact for providers interested in joining Oscar.
This role will combine day-to-day provider negotiations with long-term, strategic process improvement to minimize our network risk. We’ll throw you in the deep end of network contracting so you can learn our operations, technology, and industry quickly.
In your first 6 weeks you will:
- Gain an in-depth understanding of our network architecture, care management processes, and regulatory requirements.
- Learn the phases, economics, and core contractual provisions of provider contracting and rate structuring.
- Begin to create strong relationships with key internal stakeholders and understand the impact of direct contracting on their workstreams.
- Begin directly negotiating contracts and developing an informed view of areas for improvement in our end-to-end processes.
Moving forward, your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Own contracting with providers across Oscar’s markets
- Determine the best providers to join Oscar as we expand
- Drive cross-functional collaboration to develop and improve our Direct Contracting function and integrate insights from these negotiations into our broader network operations.
- Manage workflow updates and long-term process improvement projects, regarding the scaling of a provider network
While no prior industry experience is required, the ideal candidate will have a service-oriented bent, an interest in payer/provider negotiations, and a record of excellence working in an external-facing, highly cross-functional role. Other key components for success include:
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a top program
- 2+ years of work experience in healthcare, business, sales, account management or a client-facing role
- Outstanding structured and critical thinking and the ability to break down and triage complex issues
- The ability to coordinate large, diverse groups of people across multiple work streams
- Keen attention to detail and a willingness to get into the weeds of healthcare reimbursement and contracting operations
- A data-driven and analytical approach to problem-solving
- Excellent communication, organization, and project management skills
- Are able to follow established processes or workflows while simultaneously identifying pain points and developing improvements
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to manage difficult negotiations
- The flexibility to work both with and without structure and switch in and out of business, clinical, and social ways of thinking
- Maturity beyond your years
- 2+ years of work experience or relevant coursework in healthcare, business, law, or public policy
- An understanding of healthcare operations and market economics
- Experience with negotiation and contracts
- Experience interacting with providers or hospital systems
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background and perspectives.
Founded in 2012, Oscar is probably the last thing you would expect from a technology startup – a seemingly old-fashioned healthcare insurance provider. The company provides clients with the kind of clarity and simplicity we have come to expect from an e-commerce site. And, of course, they're hiring.
Be a Better Oscar Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Oscar when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Oscar? Visit Oscar's website.
Jobs You May Like
sweetgreen, Treehouse Support Center - LA
Sensor Systems Lead - Mechanical
Fitbit, US - San Francisco
Recruiting Operations and Analytics Lead
Qualtrics , Provo, UT
Associate Data Scientist
Anaconda, Austin, TX
Melbourne IT, Melbourne
Market Research Analyst; Online Insights
1010data, San Diego