At Oscar, we are working hard to provide the kind of health insurance we would want for ourselves. We are continuing to expand to new cities across the country, and a key component of this expansion is building strong contractual relationships with hospitals and other healthcare delivery systems in our new markets. We are also continuously working to deepen our existing partnerships and improve our agreements in our current areas of service.
In this full-time position, you will help land these key large system deals for Oscar nationally. You will coordinate with our leadership and internal stakeholders to understand Oscar’s operational, legal, and member experience standards, develop the language and rate structures for our system deals, work with our partners to negotiate strong agreements, and transition these relationships to our network partnerships team for long-term account management.
We’ll throw you in the deep end of network contracting so you can learn our operations, technology, and industry quickly. You’ll be expected to understand the complexity of our deal terms and structures, distill this complexity into core concepts for discussions with internal stakeholders and external partners, and ultimately drive policy and process improvements across the business.
In your first 6 weeks you will:
- Develop an in-depth understanding of our network ecosystem and contracting strategy.
- Become well acquainted with our key system partnerships and how they enable us to deliver excellent care and assemble high-quality, complete networks for our members.
- Learn the phases, economics, and core contractual provisions of systems contracting.
- Begin to develop good relationships with key internal stakeholders across the company and understand the impact of our contractual terms on their workstreams.
- Help land critical system deals for Oscar and begin to independently move parts of our deals through our contracting framework.
Moving forward, your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Support the end-to-end lifecycle of our large system deals-- from drafting to negotiation to account management hand-off.
- Ingest, analyze, and organize proposed language and rate structures based on risk level for internal review.
- Drive internal cross-company coordination to align stakeholders on our deals throughout the negotiation process.
- Ensure that research and learnings from individual deals are qualified and captured in our broader knowledge base and contracting framework.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on your deal portfolio for internal teams.
While no prior contracting experience is required, the ideal candidate will have a passion for healthcare, a desire to learn about payer/provider negotiations, and the ability to work in a highly cross-functional and often external-facing role. Key components for success include:
- A Bachelor’s degree from a top program with a clear track record of excellence
- Outstanding structured and critical thinking and the ability to distill complex language into fundamental terms
- Keen attention to detail and a willingness to get into the weeds of healthcare policy and operations
- Excellent communication, organization, and project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The flexibility to work both with and without structure and switch in and out of business, clinical, and social ways of thinking
- An analytical bent and data-driven approach to problem-solving
- 2+ years of work experience or relevant coursework in healthcare, business, law, or public policy
- An understanding of healthcare operations and market economics
- Experience with negotiation and contracts
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background and perspectives.
Founded in 2012, Oscar is probably the last thing you would expect from a technology startup – a seemingly old-fashioned healthcare insurance provider. The company provides clients with the kind of clarity and simplicity we have come to expect from an e-commerce site. And, of course, they're hiring.
Be a Better Oscar Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Oscar when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Oscar? Visit https://www.hioscar.com/
Jobs You May Like
Integration Analyst (Contract)
PlayStation, Los Angeles, CA
Information Security Analyst Intern
Coffee Meets Bagel, SF or Remote
Strategy and Analytics - Go to Market
Segment, San Francisco
Test Engineer Intern
Formlabs, Somerville, MA