What is the Position?
In this role, you will work within Oscar’s Insurance Operations organization to build and improve upon Oscar’s eligibility and claims infrastructure and underlying logic. You will be responsible for designing and implementing scalable processes to build on Oscar’s operational foundation and will work closely alongside other Oscar teams including Tech, Risk, Legal, Network, Sales and Marketing teams to ensure data integrity and full regulatory compliance as we grow into new markets and products like Medicare Advantage. Finally, you will be the owner of initiatives that will contribute to a unique member experience and will be vital to supporting Oscar’s growing membership.
You’ll work alongside the rest of the Insurance Operations team, engineering, data scientists, product managers, sales, and network relationship managers to get your work done. We’ll expect you to understand complexity, distill it, and explain it in simple, structured terms.
Deliverables: What you have to achieve
During the first 6 weeks you have:
- Developed a thorough understanding of the insurance operations ecosystem (including the underlying technology) as well as its current strengths, weaknesses, and gaps.
- Internalized the coding languages and data structures used in both older health industry systems and the next generation tech platform that Oscar is building.
- Mastered the framework of member enrollment, eligibility and billing, and claims processing.
On an ongoing basis you will:
- Know how to do your job excellently and perceive problems on the team and the department - you are leading and shaping the direction for initiatives
- Be a trusted partner and key point of contact for other Oscar Teams in your domain
- Partner with the Product and Engineering teams to structure the next generation of Oscar’s operating systems
- Implement strategies for scaling Insurance Operations automations to sustain future growth
- Develop subject matter expertise on all Insurance Operations policies and standard operating procedures
- Drive the culture at Oscar, through your daily actions and participation. You initiate activity the promotes the Oscar culture and includes others in it
What leads to success in this role?
Must-have qualities include:
- A bachelor’s degree
- A technical bend and the ability to use tools to answer your own questions (e.g. SQL/Python)
- Outstanding structured, systematic, and critical thinking
- A passion for distilling complex concepts and workflows into clear, concise content
- A desire to eliminate waste while driving operational excellence
- A demonstration of deep analytical skills
- A strong desire to follow through ideas until you implement them in reality
- 2-4 years experience in a technical role (QA analyst, PM, operations analyst, finance, consulting, industrial engineering)
We think it will make a big (positive) difference if you have...
- An academic and professional background in coding, math, statistics, or data science
- Knowledge and passion of healthcare and/or health insurance
- Experience automating or scaling manual operational processes
- Insatiable curiosity of subject matter and a desire to seek the truth
- Knowledge management, training, or content development experience
- A willingness to master the detail but also zoom out to understand the big picture
- An enjoyment experimenting and iterating on ways to solve a problem
Founded in 2012, Oscar is probably the last thing you would expect from a technology startup – a seemingly old-fashioned healthcare insurance provider. The company provides clients with the kind of clarity and simplicity we have come to expect from an e-commerce site. And, of course, they're hiring.
Be a Better Oscar Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Oscar when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Oscar? Visit Oscar's website.
Jobs You May Like
Accounts Receivable Accountant
StepStone, La Jolla
Senior Accountant/Senior Financial Analyst
Change.org, San Francisco, CA, USA
Senior Financial Analyst - Service Lines
Shopify, Ottawa, Canada
Etsy, New York, NY
Solution Principal - Financial Services
Medallia, Remote, California
SE Junior Accountant / Buchhalter (m/w/x)