At Oscar, we are re-envisioning healthcare by bringing technologists and industry experts together. We believe that great technology can revolutionize the operations and infrastructure underlying today’s healthcare and insurance systems, and is key to delivering transformative experiences for our members and the medical experts who provide their care. Oscar engineers work on some of the most challenging problems in tech — helping users navigate the complex health industry through beautiful user applications, elegant distributed system design, making sense of noisy data, statistical learning, and language theory. We invest in our people, our tools, and our processes so we can focus on solving big problems while learning from one another.
Oscar's business depends on trust. From forging relationships with our members through our Concierge teams to storing their Protected Health Information (PHI) in secure databases, a trust chain weaves through all that we do at Oscar. The Site Reliability Engineering team at Oscar is one of the crucial links in this chain; the infrastructural and platform layer decisions that we make impact the integrity, availability, and security of our services, and ultimately affect all interactions with members and providers.
As an Oscar SRE Manager, you’ll manage a diverse and passionate team of builders and operators. We take pride in our ability to operate complex machinery and resolve incidents with a cool demeanor. You will help architect the systems from the ground up that are driving a new type of insurance company and ensure our site and critical services are always available. You’ll be responsible for the well being, success and personal growth of your team.
What you will actually be doing:
- As a leader you will conduct the strategy and planning for your team operation
- You will mentor your team members and nurture their career growth
- You will be a key person in adaptation and tailoring of an agile process to help your team be productive and happy
- You will contribute strong engineering skills and partake in design and implementation alongside your team members
The SRE team is responsible for:
- Ownership and management of AWS infrastructure
- Triage and help in resolution of a variety of requests coming from the rest of the organization
- Guiding other organizational teams with a focus on automation, maintainability, and security
- Measurement and monitoring of availability, latency and overall system health.
- Engagement in capacity planning, demand forecasting, software performance analysis, and systems tuning.
- Improvement and upkeep of documentation
- Help with overall knowledge sharing across Oscar.
You at Oscar:
- You put people first
- You are passionate about mentoring people and team leadership
- You are hands-on and loving it
- You care about operations.
- You care about automation.
- You are able to juggle competing priorities.
- You’re passionate and open minded about technologies, but also mature enough to make the right choices when necessary.
- You can keep your cool while troubleshooting production issues.
- You have at least 7 years of SRE and/or cloud software development and at least 3 years managing people
We believe diversity is a key ingredient in building something great.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background and perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy: Oscar's Pay Transparency Policy ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Founded in 2012, Oscar is probably the last thing you would expect from a technology startup – a seemingly old-fashioned healthcare insurance provider. The company provides clients with the kind of clarity and simplicity we have come to expect from an e-commerce site. And, of course, they're hiring.
Be a Better Oscar Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Oscar when you watch classes taught by their top employees.