Senior Manager, Insurance Operations
Oscar, New York, New York
A better kind of health insurance company
Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring a Senior Manager to join our Insurance Operations team in New York City.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
What is the position?
You will report to the Associate Director of Insurance Operations.
Insurance Operations powers some of the fastest scaling operations that are required to run an insurance company: processing claims, large-scale provider contracting, member and provider data ingestion, and more. As we continue to scale our operations, we’re looking for experienced leaders to help drive the effort.
When you come in, you will support a team responsible for building outstanding processes, improving quality for core operational tasks and managing partners across all departments, such as Data, Sales, Product, Engineering, Finance, Legal and Compliance. Your team will develop foundational processes for our scaling operations, provide analytical support and summarize the complexity of our data and operations into clear explanations.The outcomes your team provides will propel Oscar’s priorities and shape how Oscar operates.
During your first six weeks: You will...
- Develop a baseline understanding of the insurance operations ecosystem (including the underlying technology and your stakeholders) as well as current strengths, weaknesses, and gaps.
- Embody Oscar’s vision of customer-orientation and lean operations.
- Engage and build relationships with the current members of the team.
- Initiate connections with the cross-functional company stakeholders, including leadership, and external partners.
During your first five months: You will...
- Implement/provide leadership on 2-3 key process improvements that markedly move the organization towards operational excellence.
- Build relationships between our team and key stakeholders through strong partnership, and consistent, high quality and timely delivery.
- Solidly grasp tools, metrics, and data that allow you to accurately understand the performance and status of the ecosystem at all times.
- Have a distinct handle on the structure of the team both operationally and culturally.
- Introduce tools and systems to support more efficient management and team execution.
Must-have qualifications and expertise include:
- Systematic/process-oriented thinking (lean operations, project management, etc.).
- Experience leading service-oriented teams in a complex environment, with a track record of consistent quality and efficiency improvements.
- Technical aptitude as well as advanced Excel skills and familiarity with database languages (SQL).
- Metrics-driven leadership, constantly guiding towards ‘zero defects’.
- 7+ years of operating experience.
- Ability to influence others, even without direct authority.
- Demonstrated internal and external relationship management skills.
- Building, coaching, developing teams.
Life at Oscar
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Founded in 2012, Oscar is probably the last thing you would expect from a technology startup – a seemingly old-fashioned healthcare insurance provider. The company provides clients with the kind of clarity and simplicity we have come to expect from an e-commerce site. And, of course, they're hiring.
Be a Better Oscar Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Oscar when you watch classes taught by their top employees.