Full Stack Software Engineer
Oscar, New York, New York, United States
A better kind of health insurance company
Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring a Full Stack Software Engineer to join our Engineering team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About this role:
Our members are engaging with Oscar more than with any other insurer, and we have expanded our personalized Concierge teams’ ability to support our members’ needs. We’ve doubled down on virtual care delivery to improve access for our members to get the care they need, when and where they need it. We’re leveraging technology to provide smarter ways to guide our members through the healthcare system.
As a Full Stack Engineer, you’ll work across our entire stack, building intuitive user experiences for our members, the clinicians who guide and provide their care, and the operational teams at Oscar that make it all possible.
We’re working on
- Doctor on Call – Whenever possible, we want members to start their care with us. Central to this experience is Doctor on Call: unlimited, 24/7 access to a doctor that’s completely free for most members and accessible directly in the website or mobile app. We’re able to resolve around two-thirds of all requests, often averting a more expensive trip to the emergency room or urgent care.
- Appointment Scheduling – Finding a doctor and scheduling an appointment shouldn’t require calling up every doctor in the directory. We’ve partnered with select doctors to reserve appointment slots for Oscar members, and it’s just a few clicks for our members to find the right doctor, view their availabilities, and immediately book an appointment.
- Cost Estimates – One of the biggest issues for members is price transparency. It’s incredibly difficult to find out how much something in healthcare will cost beforehand. Getting the exact same procedure done in a different location can result in a 10x difference in costs. We’re building a cost estimates tool for members so they can get accurate price estimates for the service they’re planning on receiving. This will help our members make informed decisions and avoid surprise medical bills.
- Knowledge Management – Our Concierge Care Guides field thousands of questions every day from our members, ranging from payments to benefits to help with finding a doctor. They essentially have to become subject matter experts on everything. We’re creating a platform that automatically surfaces relevant answers based on the member’s inquiries, ensuring the content is specific to the member and their plan and demographics.
- Component Library – Part of what makes Oscar stand out is having visually appealing and easy to understand user experiences. We’ve designed and built an extensive React component library that’s consistently branded and web accessible. Every web application at Oscar, whether external or internal, uses the component library. Read more about it here.
We’re looking for
- 3+ years of professional software engineering experience.
- A passion for fixing healthcare. The current healthcare experience is broken: it’s expensive, confusing, and doesn’t focus enough on patient outcomes. Our goal is to refactor healthcare piece by piece.
- An eagerness to collaborate closely with other engineers, product managers, designers, and operational stakeholders across Oscar. We believe the best ideas emerge when people share different perspectives and work together.
- A knack for understanding business problems and user requirements and translating them into robust solutions.
- The ability to architect creative, extensible, and maintainable applications across our web and mobile clients. We continuously seek the right balance between moving quickly and improving the operability, performance, and scalability of the systems we build.
- An interest in using the best tool for the job. Our current favorites are React (Native), Python, Go, Kafka, Postgres, and gRPC.
Anything else is a bonus. We believe diversity is a key ingredient in building something great. All backgrounds welcome.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Founded in 2012, Oscar is probably the last thing you would expect from a technology startup – a seemingly old-fashioned healthcare insurance provider. The company provides clients with the kind of clarity and simplicity we have come to expect from an e-commerce site. And, of course, they're hiring.
Be a Better Oscar Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Oscar when you watch classes taught by their top employees.