California Medical Director
Oscar, Los Angeles, California
A better kind of health insurance company
What is Oscar?
Oscar is a new kind of health insurance company that is using technology, data, and design to deliver a better healthcare experience. We’ve brought together leaders from top technology and healthcare companies to create a talented team, all of whom are passionate about helping people navigate the complex and confusing healthcare industry.
What is the Position?
Oscar’s Los Angeles office needs a Medical Director to oversee clinical functions in California. As a key senior hire in our California office, you will play a foundational role in the California team and manage all local medical operations. This person will have the opportunity to help develop a critical part of Oscar’s operations, participating in the entire spectrum from early conception to operating at scale.
Deliverables: What you have to achieve
Within three months, you will:
- Get up to speed on Oscar clinical operations and technology, including California utilization management, care management, and quality reporting needs
- Help improve and ensure ongoing regulatory compliance of our utilization management program in California
- Provide support for escalated clinical member service issues, working internally and externally when appropriate
Within six months, you will:
- Provide continued support for medical necessity reviews and escalated clinical member service issues
- Assist in the development and implementation of California-specific and/or central care navigation programs, and help design technology and tools that enable these programs
- Establish yourself as the local representative for internal stakeholders and liaison to external parties such as Oscar’s provider partners in clinical areas (quality, utilization management, care management)
Within 12 months, you will:
- Meaningfully inform the buildout of medical operations in California, including quality improvement, care management programs, and utilization management processes
- Become a source of inspiration for the build-out of technology and data tools
- Become a single point of accountability for the California General Manager and national Chief Medical Officer on clinical functions in California
- Identify and act on priority areas for deeper clinical integration with strategic provider partners
Who are you?
- Practice experience in primary care, family medicine, or internal medicine and a business mindset
- Passion for Oscar and transformation in healthcare
- Detail-oriented, flexible, and able to work autonomously with little supervision
- Outstanding organizational, project management, and follow-up skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Unrestricted California medical license required
Bonus points if you:
- Have coding experience and/or have thought through and designed technology and tools
- Have some operational experience (e.g., ability to set up and optimize workflows)
- Have new and innovative ideas on how to build effective care navigation using technology, data, and new models of care
- Have experience working with the leadership of large health systems or physician groups
- Have worked at a startup
Founded in 2012, Oscar is probably the last thing you would expect from a technology startup – a seemingly old-fashioned healthcare insurance provider. The company provides clients with the kind of clarity and simplicity we have come to expect from an e-commerce site. And, of course, they're hiring.
Be a Better Oscar Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Oscar when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Oscar? Visit https://www.hioscar.com/
Jobs You May Like
Project Manager, Content Distribution
Netflix, Tokyo, Japan
IT Support Technician
Palantir Technologies, London, United Kingdom
Merchant Success Manager - Shopify Plus (Ontario)
Shopify, Remote in Ontario
Complex Provider Case Associate
Oscar, New York
HelloFresh, USA - Richmond, CA