Data Scientist, Care Delivery
Oscar, New York, New York, United States
A better kind of health insurance company
Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring a Data Scientist to join our Data team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About the Role:
Insurance companies sit on a trove of data that is both broad and deep, including financial claims, clinical medical records, and rich product interaction data from our members. Oscar's Data team connects the dots across these datasets to give us unique insight into how the healthcare system functions and allows us to improve care coordination, better manage risk, build higher-performing provider networks, and create a standout consumer experience in our product.
On the data team, we collaborate with people across the organization -- from engineers and product managers to operations teams to doctors to actuaries -- to make sure our whole business is as intelligent and data-driven as possible.
You’ll help improve the caliber and efficiency of the medical care our members receive by working with our value capture, population health, and clinical teams. Your responsibilities will include:
- Building out master datasets to enable key clinical quality initiatives, and forecasting our performance in those areas
- Working with our population health team to target the members who will best benefit from their work
- Identify and quantify opportunities for us to shift our members toward more valuable care (e.g., by identifying high quality physicians)
- You have 2+ years of relevant work experience or a Master’s degree in a quantitative field
- You can use data science tools like SQL and Python
- You’re excited about being (or becoming) a decision-maker, not just an analyst
- You know when to look outside the data to help answer questions
- You see data science as a powerful tool to get things done rather than as an end in itself
- Knowledge of health care, health economics, or health insurance is a bonus but not required
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background and perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy: Oscar's Pay Transparency Policy ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Founded in 2012, Oscar is probably the last thing you would expect from a technology startup – a seemingly old-fashioned healthcare insurance provider. The company provides clients with the kind of clarity and simplicity we have come to expect from an e-commerce site. And, of course, they're hiring.
Be a Better Oscar Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Oscar when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Oscar? Visit Oscar's website.
German engineered blades and shaving cream online for a fair price