Healthcare is incredibly complex and design is one of the most powerful tools Oscar has to change this broken industry. We’re looking for a Director of Product Design who will establish a strong vision for how we leverage product design to fix the health insurance experience for providers, health systems, and most importantly, our members.
As Director of Product Design, you have a strong track record of building, coaching, and leading design teams from the ground up. You love the challenge of creating scalable design processes and instilling guiding principles for the team that ensures every designer is working passionately at their full potential. You are someone with an entrepreneurial mindset that is excited to take the solid foundation we’ve built to the next level as our technological breadth grows and our business lines diversify.
What You’ll Do:
- Set the vision for Oscar’s user experience and lead the team through the entire product lifecycle and product launches. Create opportunities for others to collaborate and bring your design techniques to the forefront to inspire those around you.
- Define the strategy for our product design team's growth and lead that team as their mentor and role model. Provide feedback and guidance around all facets of the product design process, moving between user experience design, interface design, and visual design.
- Let user research help your team build better products. Focus on conducting frequent user tests and listening to users to let their needs guide us to the best possible solutions.
- Work collaboratively across the company. You’ll partner closely with engineering, product, and business providing the thought leadership needed to develop beautiful and practical product strategy.
- Dive into the details and own your work. You’ll take full ownership of your work and every last detail, every step of the way. Oscar colleagues will depend on you for your expertise and feedback.
Who you are:
- You have at least 5-7 years of experience in the digital space with previous experience with building and developing a strong design team.
- You have a strong understanding of how the product design process works, including user experience design, interface design, and visual design.
- You have conceived and iterated product features based on data, analytics, and strategy.
- You’re capable of balancing user and business needs while remaining flexible in a fast-changing startup environment (able to “roll with the punches”).
- You are an incredible designer with amazing design chops. You’ve shipped many consumer products over the years, and understand what it takes to create awesome, consumer-oriented experiences.
- You’re a great communicator. You have the communication skills to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial design concepts. You also have the ability to mentor others to deliver work, and make strategy come to life.
- You’re excited to contribute and take ownership at an early stage of a company.
- You have an online portfolio, or PDF that you can share with us.
Founded in 2012, Oscar is probably the last thing you would expect from a technology startup – a seemingly old-fashioned healthcare insurance provider. The company provides clients with the kind of clarity and simplicity we have come to expect from an e-commerce site. And, of course, they're hiring.
Be a Better Oscar Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Oscar when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Oscar? Visit https://www.hioscar.com/
Jobs You May Like
Head of User Experience
Class Pass, New York
User experience designer
Production Designer Intern - 2018
Airbnb, San Francisco, California
Senior Product Designer
PolicyGenius, New York
Senior Content Designer
Pocket Gems, Core
Freelance Senior User Experience Architect