Senior Software Engineer: Data/Systems
Oscar, New York, NY
A better kind of health insurance company
Our goal is to make healthcare simple, transparent, and human. In Engineering, we do that by building reliable and maintainable applications, infrastructure, and interfaces that make interacting with the health care system easier for everyone -- members, providers, and (yes!) ourselves.
As a senior Oscar Engineer, you’ll be joining a tight knit, passionate team, and leading the designs Oscar’s next generation of complex, feature rich, business critical services, data pipelines and architecture, and scalable infrastructure. You’ll mentor engineers to help them design for stability, performance, and scalability across services or clients.
We take pride in our ability to move quickly (deploys > 100/day), our small teams (engineers <= 5), and our willingness to tackle big problems (frequency == everyday).
What we’re actually doing:
The following is a list of projects our teams are currently working on:
- A search engine that effectively and efficiently connects members to the care they need when they need it.
- A platform to securely, accurately, and automatically make electronic payments to providers.
- A system to price and adjudicate claims in real time with startling accuracy.
- A generalized platform to communicate with people via various channels, including email, snail mail, push notifications, and SMS.
You at Oscar:
- You have been programming professionally for 6+ years, working with a variety of technologies, and have increasingly impactful accomplishments
- You care about what you do.
- You care about what we do.
- You’re able to learn quickly, whether it be a new shiny technology or an arcane, ill-conceived data structure; our company may be new, but the health industry isn’t!
- You have a proven track record of strong technical contributions, consistently improve the quality of what you craft, and are excited to build high-performance, fault-tolerant, and scalable software systems.
Anything else is a bonus. We believe diversity is a key ingredient in building something great. All backgrounds welcome.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background and perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy: Oscar's Pay Transparency Policy ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Founded in 2012, Oscar is probably the last thing you would expect from a technology startup – a seemingly old-fashioned healthcare insurance provider. The company provides clients with the kind of clarity and simplicity we have come to expect from an e-commerce site. And, of course, they're hiring.
Be a Better Oscar Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Oscar when you watch classes taught by their top employees.