What is the Position?
Health care is big and complicated. At Oscar, we have the privileged position of touching many parts of the system and getting access to the associated data. The Risk team analyzes this data to better understand and modify Oscar’s health care costs and deploy programs and tools. You’ll work alongside data scientists and statisticians, and with other teams on projects across the company.
We’ll throw you in the deep end, expect you to understand complexity, distill it, explain it and drive improvements across the business. Some of the questions we tackle include:
- How do we identify high quality doctors and medical providers?
- How do we intelligently and creatively support our sickest members?
- Can we make sure people are matched with the right level of care when they need it?
- What medical services are worth reviewing or getting a second opinion on?
- How can we figure out what someone is sick with when data is incomplete?
Winning factors: What leads to success
Must-have qualities include:
Outstanding structured and critical thinking
- A passion for understanding complex issues with a data driven approach
- A technical bent and the ability to use or to learn to use tools to answer your own questions (e.g. Excel/SQL/Python)
Be someone that gets things done
- Be able to put together a project plan and drive a team of people with different skills to produce tangible results.
- Enjoy experimenting and iterating on different ways to solve a problem.
Zoom in and out
- Willing to master the detail when you need to but also zoom out and have a view on how to shape the bigger picture.
- Be able to do math on on your feet.
- Enjoy switching in and out of business, clinical and social ways of thinking.
The following will be helpful, but are not essential…
- A proven track record in either performing data driven analytical work or project managing complex initiatives.
- Knowledge of health care, health economics, health policy, or health insurance.
Above all, be thoughtful and humble.
Oscar is an equal opportunity employer. Should you be a fit for this role, one of our recruiters will contact you from a hioscar.com e-mail address. Oscar recruiters do not request your sensitive personal information by email.
Founded in 2012, Oscar is probably the last thing you would expect from a technology startup – a seemingly old-fashioned healthcare insurance provider. The company provides clients with the kind of clarity and simplicity we have come to expect from an e-commerce site. And, of course, they're hiring.
Be a Better Oscar Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Oscar when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Oscar? Visit https://www.hioscar.com/
Jobs You May Like
Procurement and Travel Specialist
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
TripAdvisor, London, United Kingdom
Senior Finance Manager, Global Agency Development - Time Inc. Advertising Sales & Marketing
Time Inc., New York, NY
Senior Analyst - Brand Finance
Time Inc., Bengaluru, India
Time Inc., Parsippany, NJ and New York, NY
Squarespace, New York, NY